Tell the truth ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget that the views might be some of us 8 returning to read what the others have posted.

And now back to the topic.....With the safety sausage, any recommendaiton on length? 4, 6, 8, 10 feet?

I have to get on the band wagon here... I carry a whistle AND a sausage on EVERY dive... ocean, river, lake, or spring. So do my son, daughter and wife. Part of our predive checklist too!!! I have also bought a strobe, but have yet to carry it. Not a bad idea though!!!

I carry a signalling sausage and a power whistle. Oh and one word of advice, those things are extremely loud, but they only work if you have air in your cylinder, so it's best to have a regular whistle too. Oh and stick your head in the water before hitting the button, otherwise your ears will be ringing for hours! LOL!

Mike,
Interesting question. I'd have to blow my sausage up to see how long it is. But I'd say the bigger the better. (also a Texas philosophy) Ha!
I'd guess mine at 4 to 6 feet.
I also carry a tank banger on my tank now. It's fun to be able to show your fellow divers stuff, but it also can be used if you're in trouble and divers are ahead of you or can't see you.
Anyone else like these? I was able to show my buddy a puffer fish and eel on our last dive because of my tank banger!
:sunny:

My SMB is 7 ft. long, about 10 inches in diameter and bright red/orange. I have also used it as a lift bag. I don't care for the tank bangers that are those round plastic balls attached to your tank. I use a large brass clip. The metallic 'clang' travels farther underwater.

but not THAT big!!

Being very new to diving I did not respond on the first time I read this post, but felt slighted that you guys would assume that those not posting were ill prepared. I have a whistle attached to my BC, I have a dive tool that works great for tank clanging. I am ordering a sausage. Any other doubts out there. Not offended here just didn't feel the urge to respond earlier on. Also just purchased a dive flag on a buoy, and the rope. Plan on using it in the morning. Happy diving.:)

SeaAngel,
Didn't mean to make you feel slighted. And I'm glad you came back to read more posts and decided to post yourself.
It's good to know you are very prepared with safety devices.
I don't know if it's just me, or what, but I've been on quite a few trips and never saw anyone with even a whistle.OK so you'll say maybe they had it in their pocket, but alas, not true. I wear mine around my neck in full view and divers always say to me, "Wow, I should get one of those".
So hence the post. Just hoping to give the idea to maybe a diver that didn't get around to buying it yet. Such a little thing could save a life. And yes, I have used mine.
:sunny:

Have sausage somewhere, rarely dive in a situation where someone isn't on my boat watching bubbles.Use whistle about once every year or two.Whistle is always on my harness.Looking for a pink one to irritate my testosterone-filled-men-wear-black-dive-gear-buddies.After this post I may put that sausage on my list to.Has anyone else had to use thiers.

Hi Natasha,
I have a whistle clipped to my BC,and a bright orange safety sasuage in my BC pocket. Recently I've been carrying a small mirror, just in case. My buddy and I were diving off West Palm last November and had to use the safety sasuage in order for the boat captain to see us. Wouldn't go in the water without a couple of signaling devices. Dive Safely.
:tree:Bob

Back
Top Bottom