Tell the truth ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok ok I admit.....

My wife and I have both been in the big blue without a signalling device. Neither a whistle or a sausage. It is a situation we both will rectify soon. (Before we hit the big water again) Due to the properties of sound on the water I would believe the sausage is much more effective than a whistle. The whistle blast gets people looking but determining direction is very difficult. I am also getting (or making) bangers for both of us. She likes to swim a little above and behind me. So if I have to look for her I have to do all sorts of contortions to get turned around. When I was O/W trained 9 years ago I don't remember surface signalling devices discussed. Under water we were told to bang a knife handle on the side of the tank.

Tom

Hey all,

Since the discussion is ALSO including underwater signaling devices, I must admit that I also have the WHOLE family equipped with the mini-hammerhead. It's a rattler that clips to your BC, right next to where I have them clip their sausages. Underwater you can shake it quite vigously, and it actually gets my attention... tank bangers do not! I am not sure whether it affects underwater organisims, but it does affect it's intended audience quite well. When we gather underwater we all shake out "shave and a haircut... two bits" to signal that we are ready to go. Yes, its a family tradition.

Could you do a few bars of "Doo Wah Diddy" for us!! LOL!!

Pete,
What a riot. I'd love for your family and mine to dive together. How old are you kids?
I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a "Family Group trip" and let teenagers dive and meet others their own ages.
Detroitdiver..good thinking. How about followed by " I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy".

Hey all,

Well, if its not going to be fun, I try and avoid it like the plague! My daughter just turned 17 and my son is 12. He is far more confident than she is, and far more observant as well. I actually got into the certification thing as a way to spend time with the daughter... I spend lots of time with my son in Boy Scouts. Somehow, though, even though it was her idea, he got bit by the bug. Still, its fun when we all get wet together!

Here is my package....
whistle, Halcyon sausage, (no-dive alert they do not work when you have no air) Lift bag and reel, and mirror.

I carry a safety sausage and have used it on one occassion. I tried the whistle first that came with my BC but it went unnoticed in the stormy conditions topside.

I used to carry a tank banger underwater but rarely does a diver wearing a hood notice it. What is a mini-hammerhead and where do I find one? Sounds like a good idea.

I was laughing about the earlier comment about pink gear on guys. My instructor frequently dives with people he doesn't know. He wears pink in order to determine if the other diver suffers from the macho he-man diver attitude common in some guys. If the other guy makes a crack about the pink gear, he tells them why he's wearing pink! Attitudes change quickly after that. :) Plus the pink stands out more underwater than black.

Hi Natasha,

DiveAlert with a back up Storm Whistle in case out of air; safety sausage clipped to BC plus flimsy plastic job in BC pocket for backup; signaling mirror; occasionally a dye pack.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Those who read this and didn't reply don't use some sort of SSD...Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Now that's a scientific conclusion.

ID

Sounds like alot of safe divers. I cary a sausage,
whistle, and dive alert. Never had to use them, but being
lost would be a big downer.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom