The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, c'mon $25 for a book is cheap. I can't believe that anyone in the United States would bat an eye over $25.00. You cannot photocopy copyrighted material. It belongs to the author.

Redhat, the problem is that, in my opinion, the books are full of "filler". Anything I actually KNOW about diving....did not come from one of those "cheap" (your word, not mine) PADI books.
And, wouldn't they cost less if they were not in those big glossy boxes? .... Just asking, know I am going to get broiled....not trying to cause problems..just wanting to speak the unspeakable.

biscuit7:
and for the love of all things holy, don't become a scuba instructor with a boat...

nothing but trouble :wink:

Rachel
tell me about it..ha ha..

catherine96821:
Ron, your posts are stellar.

I would like to see PADI raise the bar a bit on their books. It would not be that hard and then people would be less likely to complain about the costs. Most of the PADI books are pretty disposable....And you can basically read the summary little boxes and do well on the tests. They spend too many pages saying absolutely nothing. And I liked diving and I like reading about diving....I really think the materials are poor. Putting those little tiny books in those big colorful boxes doesn't impress me either.

One thing that is really needed is various types of problems WORKED OUT, I have a science degree, am not too "math challenged" and I felt the materials were not helpful. I bought the workbook for my DM but I needed to see some of the problems worked out, not just see the correct answer. Which leads me to another complaint. Why can some people without even a GED get all the correct answers on the test? Me, I think it is fishy.

I have been one of those that a little critical about GUE and DIR. It occurred to me the other day, I bet they focus more on the instruction than pumping out books....And that maybe we should "sweep around our own back door."

I'm not bashing. PADI is MY agency. I want them to do a better job with this. Once I see that it falls on deaf ears, I won't mention it again. Like my earlier post, if people do not believe my version of what happened to my friends, then ...fine. I think for PADI to be a good value for people's cash, they need this feedback. If I see the feedback is not wanted, I will move on to some other issue.

where you state "people without even a ged get all the correct answers on test" course is designed for everyone,not just those with science degrees..It took quite a few educated people with degrees in education and psy. to design it..It fits the masses that it is designed for..the video-knowledge reviews-quizes-exam all work together to a common goal,which is to educate a person any where from age 10 to 80 years of age,enough to go on a dive and look at what is there.Hopefully they accomplish this in a safe and enjoyable enough manner that no one gets hurt,which it does very well.

catherine96821:
Ron, your posts are stellar.

I'm not bashing. PADI is MY agency. I want them to do a better job with this. Once I see that it falls on deaf ears, I won't mention it again. Like my earlier post, if people do not believe my version of what happened to my friends, then ...fine. I think for PADI to be a good value for people's cash, they need this feedback. If I see the feedback is not wanted, I will move on to some other issue.

I believe what you were saying - However, the licensing agreement for the padi logo's are quite straight forward - As a member (Divemaster and above) we are licensed to use the logo's to promote US. We cannot use it to promote our divecentre, because there is a different licensing rule for divecentres. (They need to be a resort, or a CDC or something like that...)

So if you want to promote your divecentre, you need to shell out about $540 to Padi, and become a IRRA member. Otherwise, you can use the logo's to promote YOUR services, but not the ones of the shop you happen to be paid/employed/exploited/used/<fill in the blanks> by.

E:)

catherine96821:
Redhat, the problem is that, in my opinion, the books are full of "filler". Anything I actually KNOW about diving....did not come from one of those "cheap" (your word, not mine) PADI books.
And, wouldn't they cost less if they were not in those big glossy boxes? .... Just asking, know I am going to get broiled....not trying to cause problems..just wanting to speak the unspeakable.

I can't work myself into a rant unless a see a significant problem. I do believe that PADI employs educational consultants for those books. PADI is a publishing company.

Hmmm. Let me see.
Tank- $150
BC- $350
Reg set up - $500
Fins $100
Wetsuit $200
Computer $300
Weights etc...$50
Mask-$100
Plus about a grand for "miscellaneous materials" such as gear bags, knives, gloves ect...
$1500 for a trip to Cozumel...........

And we're griping about a thirty dollar book with ALL the information to get us started in a sport we evidently love? Aw, c'mon folks!

Well, could it be possible that the enforcement is selective or political? ..just asking. The people I am speaking of have "no shop". I refer divers to them because I know they are
1.safe 2. have integrity 3. Give excellent personal attention They only teach PADI and the logos directed people to the PADI site. I just think it is PADI's loss to reach so far for more money because this sentiment seems to be growing. Look, I don't care--They are not my social friends, and I am not making my living from my association with PADI. But, I have observed PADI for thirty years now, and I think I am making a valid point. If I get those GO SOMEWHERE ELSE 4 inch tall ditto marks a few more times, then...maybe I really should.

Well no offense to educational consultants...but...never mind. (Lets just say I witnessed what they did to Medicine over the past ten years) Ok no ranting, I will go post about something else. I realize PADI is less open to critique than DIR ever was, thats what I am starting to see very clearly. Do you know how many questions those people answer around here? over and over? Guess my soul is up for grabs.

PADI is a publishing company. They make their money selling books and pics. I think the entire argument is a strawman. But I'm a logical thinker and I don't know why I'm participating in this thread. It takes an egregious act to produce righteous indignation in me. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom