Things you can't bring into Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meat or dairy products are OK if they are sealed and have a USDA inspection stamp on them. The problem is that often cheese and processed meats will come to a store in a wheel or bulk package and be devided up and resealed with out the USDA inspection stamp.

In the past we've usually brought kids' clothes and shoes down to donate. Haven't been to Coz since 2018 (hopefully soon) but at Blue Angel there was even a collection drop-off for that. We would shop at second-hand stores specifically for this purpose and then pack as much as we could around our dive gear which also further protected it while staying within the weight limits for luggage. Too bad if we can't do this anymore although never was questioned in the past.

In the past we've usually brought kids' clothes and shoes down to donate. . . . Too bad if we can't do this anymore although never was questioned in the past.
I may have missed something in the original post, but I didn't see where these rules are stated to be "new." I suspect these have long been the rules, and some are enforced more than others.

If you have kids' clothing and shoes in your luggage with other items of the type tourists take, I doubt anyone would bother to quiz you. If you bring in a box full of nothing but what looks like old clothes, they might question whether those are for your personal use.

Well since it's just my wife and me kids' clothes SHOULD raise a flag but never has been a problem. I also doubt that it ever would. Plus it's not like we are carrying volumes that suggest we had intent to sell them.

Well since it's just my wife and me kids' clothes SHOULD raise a flag but never has been a problem. I also doubt that it ever would. Plus it's not like we are carrying volumes that suggest we had intent to sell them.
And its not like there are kids in them.

Or are there?

You may not get busted for smuggling old clothes in, but it's still best to donate those at home, get the tax deduction, and donate cash in Cozumel.

You may not get busted for smuggling old clothes in, but it's still best to donate those at home, get the tax deduction, and donate cash in Cozumel.
I guess so. We don't have kids, so we always purchased the items at charity stores locally (helping them), and then brought the items down to donate.

Back
Top Bottom