Things you can't bring into Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WAIT !!! BACON TOOTHPASTE !!!! Is that a real thing?? Where sourced????
It IS a real thing. But I wonder if that is not a mistranslation of pâté, since it was lumped in with foods?

"Products of swine origin and their derivatives originating in countries with the presence of African Swine Fever, such as: ham, sausages, bacon, pork rinds, sweets with pork, raw pork, dried meat, smoked cutlets, precooked sausages, pasta with pork, BBQ ribs, pork flour, lard, instant soup with pork, bacon toothpaste, salami, mortadella, ham sandwich, chorizo, etc."

So you could legally bring in bacon toothpaste (or pâté) from a country in which there is no presence of African Swine Fever.

I'm wondering what led to the addition of "Used clothing that is not part of your personal luggage"...Did someone get upset their girlfriend stole their hoodie?

I'm wondering what led to the addition of "Used clothing that is not part of your personal luggage"...Did someone get upset their girlfriend stole their hoodie?
People bringing used clothing to resell

I'm wondering what led to the addition of "Used clothing that is not part of your personal luggage"
It's been a prohibition for years, I don't know of any enforcement, but it may happen.
People bringing used clothing to resell
I can't imagine how that could be profitable.

It's been a prohibition for years, I don't know of any enforcement, but it may happen.

I can't imagine how that could be profitable.

By air to Cozumel, not so much. Have you ever driven to Mexico? Friday nights you'll find the road into Laredo packed with pickups and vans loaded like the Beverly hillbillies taking used items to sell at flea markets in Nvo or Monterrey. My ex is from Guanajuato and we used to make yearly road trips there and the van would be packed full with stuff she bought at garage sales during the year. We took boxes of decent used clothes to give to relatives. We didn't sell them but it had the same effect in that jeans we gave to her brothers were jeans they didn't have to buy. We got held up once at Piedras Negras where we spent 3 hours arguing that all those clothes were personal use (hard to explain pants waist 44 when I wore 34 at the time) before we ponied up $50 and went on our way.

Customs laws are national not regional. While it might not be a frequent thing in Coz, they still enforce federal law. And it isn't really about whether it's profitable to the importer but that it takes away from the local economy. So it makes no difference if you are selling them or giving them away.

Makes me really wonder how I got that load of liverwurst into Mexico a few years ago. I got the red light, agent went through my bag, gave me a weird look and waved me along. It's freaking liverwurst, for god's sake. But I guess if pate is ok...

Makes me really wonder how I got that load of liverwurst into Mexico a few years ago. I got the red light, agent went through my bag, gave me a weird look and waved me along. It's freaking liverwurst, for god's sake. But I guess if pate is ok...
As I interpret the list of prohibited items, liverwurst in its commercial packaging would pass muster (or mustard). It isn't "fresh meat." It isn't of "swine orgin" from a country with African Swine Fever. Now, apparently if you made a sandwich out of it (preferably with a big slice of onion), that would be prohibited. No Sandwiches!

As I interpret the list of prohibited items, liverwurst in its commercial packaging would pass muster (or mustard). It isn't "fresh meat." It isn't of "swine orgin" from a country with African Swine Fever. Now, apparently if you made a sandwich out of it (preferably with a big slice of onion), that would be prohibited. No Sandwiches!

Big slice of onion and Gulden's brown mustard.

Back
Top Bottom