Throwing up in your regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spector39

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
*Disclaimer* Not a good thread to read while eating! :D

Hello. I apologize if this has been discussed recently. I tried a search and did not really find what I was looking for. It's kind of a disgusting topic but I will be diving at depth for the first time ever in a few weeks and this is one of the things I'm worried about.

During my OW course, the instructor said if you must hurl to do it into your reg. I have some serious concerns about this. First, I'm worried that the force would blow the reg out of my mouth then I'd involuntarily suck in a breath of water. Also, if the reg couldn't handle the volume and backed up, I'm worried it would go up my nose choking me on puke, or at least causing major panic.

I realize the chances are very low of this happening but I'd like to be prepared for all calamities! Has anyone actually gone through this and if so, is this indeed the best method? It seems like taking the reg out and barfing into the ocean would be safer, assuming you got your reg back in your mouth before you inhale.

Just makes your mouth water, doesn't it?

I was always told to leave it in and let it rip. A freind of mine was diving with his SF team when he slid over and snagged one of the other guys' shiny new knife. He pinned a flounder to the sea bottom and had himself a bit of sushi right there. He said the other guys found out that they, indeed, could barf through their regs.

I've gotten sick in my reg a couple of times.
Once I did a dive in 7'-9' seas and got a bit seasick, when I jumped in the water the surge continued to make me feel sick so I got sick through my regulator. When I inhaled I had no problem with getting air.
It's okay to get sick through your reg but remember to hold it in place with your hand so it doesn't accidentally come out. If by a very small chance your reg does get blocked just switch to your alternate air source and you will be fine.
Once you do get sick you feel a whole lot better and can continue your dive!

During my OW course, the instructor said if you must hurl to do it into your reg. I have some serious concerns about this. First, I'm worried that the force would blow the reg out of my mouth then I'd involuntarily suck in a breath of water. Also, if the reg couldn't handle the volume and backed up, I'm worried it would go up my nose choking me on puke, or at least causing major panic.

I realize the chances are very low of this happening but I'd like to be prepared for all calamities! Has anyone actually gone through this and if so, is this indeed the best method? It seems like taking the reg out and barfing into the ocean would be safer, assuming you got your reg back in your mouth before you inhale.

I've never had to vomit through a reg, but I have had to cough quite forcefully through one.

First off, don't dive while sick.

Keep the reg in your mouth. Sure, it's within the realm of possibility that you could blow the reg out of your mouth. However, if you've got the presence of mind to take the reg out before you hurl, you've got the presence of mind to hold the reg in. If you can keep it in your mouth during a giant stride entry, you can hold it in while you're losing your lunch.

I would think that you're likely to involuntarily inhale after you barf, and if you do, you want the reg in your mouth.

I've seen it happen. Hold it in place. If it gives you any problem, stick your tongue into it and purge it. If that doesn't work, use your alt. Just be ready for a swarm of fish around your face if they're nearby. They'll gobble up some human eats. :D

How about an out of air drill right before throwing up? That way you are puking into your buddies reg! :crafty:

I have several students get sick underwater (including my wife). All were taught to hold the reg in their mouth and no one had any problems. I could even hear one guy laughing with all the fish around him!

I barfed in my regulator about my first 100 dives. Didn't matter how long I was at the surface, shore diving or boat, barfing on my safety stop was the rule. To be brutal, large chunks don't pass well, but the liquids and more digested/masticated stuff did fine. I learned to chew my food well, as well as drink LOTS of water before diving. Barfing in the reg makes you take the cover off and clean out under the main diaphragm, but makes you very popular with your dive buddies, as the tropical fish do come around to see what you had for lunch, and have a little nosh themselves.

I do not recommend taking your reg out of your mouth to hurl, as there is often a sharp inhalation at the end of a particularly forceful heave. YMMV.

Been there, done that at depth with surge. Even large chunks went out the Reg exhaust. I think it was partially chewed cheese quesadilla.

I now just make sure when I dive to do as our parents say and chew your food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom