Tip for OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an instructor I guess I dont understand this. When I teach classes (medical stuff) I have a price for the class which covers all my cost including "helpers". My job (that I was hired for) is to give them the best information and hands on training to help them pass the class. Tips are not for doing ones job. Tips are for people who go above and beyond expectations. I would never dream of accepting tips for my classes but I have got cards and that is very much appreciated. Also the fact of knowing students pass there classes is the reward.

Now if I was going way out of my way and putting in lots of extra time outside of class or similar I would consider taking compensation for that since that is not part of the actual class.

Couldn't agree more. Never got a tip for teaching Band or playing a clarinet gig. I also agree completely with Devon Diver as I too never understood the U.S.' "assumed" tipping and I grew up there (same in Canada anyway). If I manage to get a DM gig or 2 this summer I may turn hypocrite and change my tune....

POST THE SHOPS NAME SO OTHERS DO NOT GO THERE! this is a disgusting practice, WTF, doubling the price by the end of the course.
Sorry for yelling, but this is simply unacceptable.

There are other ways that the instructor could have conveyed to the students that a "show of gratitude" would be appreciated. Examples might include: a cash tip, giving a gift card (e.g., to the local dive shop, local sporting goods store, local coffee shop), giving a useful piece of dive gear, buying/making lunch, bringing snacks, giving some other thoughtful present, etc.

Telling students to tip the DM $60 is presumptuous, in my opinion.

Most of the DMs here in San Diego get paid a very low wage (minimum wage?) for the hours they are helping out a class. Depending on where they live and the kind of car they drive, it might cover the cost of gas. Essentially, it's volunteer work. Air fills are provided gratis. Their fees for boat dives are comped. If the DM is lucky, his dive shop will give him access to Keyman discounts on dive gear. Sometimes, if the shop likes the DM, he'll be given a discount on instructor training (if that's what he wants to do). The understanding is that, after instructor certification, he will work for the shop.

Greetings Wahooinit and interesting feedback.
There is a lot of work that goes into a OW class when done right.
A DM can make or break some students not to take away from the Instructors responsibility or candor but they can and do make a difference.
I have been around the training scene both sides of this issue, tips are nice but the instructor never solicited them nor would any of the Dms.

There were many times after training that the Instructor would praise us take us out to eat, etc.
None of us ever felt slighted or not appreciated one bit.
What we did not necessarily get in tips we more than made up for by gaining experience, outrageous deals on gear and advanced training.
This past season I assisted with one class and they tipped and very well I should say.
I was awe struck and could not believe the generosity.

Tips are great but not required unless the DM is treated like a tank totter physical labor and or extra ordinary circumstances.
That being said there are DMs out there who are more like AIs and they not only work around the training but take part in the training.
These DMs are working twice as much and if you are pleased then by all means tip them as you see fit.

The only issue I can see with the Instructor suggesting 20% is that he specified the comment.
Possibly the DM does not get gear deals and or not gratuity from the Instructor.
Either way it is up to the customer to decide whether to tip or not.

I receive tips at work for doing extra or going above and beyond the required service so Why Not?
I can assure you they are appreciated very much!

Enjoy your training and be safe.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Here in NY every Deli or corner store you go into they have a "Tip" cup on the counter it is ridiculous.

Yup.... got one in my Deli too.

Sorry that you feel that it is ridiculous.

It was put there after many customers asked for it...they want to tip the girls behind the grill for good service. No one is expected to tip, but some people actually want to tip for good service. I know I do....

T... To
I... Insure
P... proper
S... Service

A lot of times I will tip a person at the beginning of their service, the amount that is customary... then if they do a really good job I wil give them some additional money. If they do a crap job, I don't come back.

I have functioned for many years as a DM assisting in open water, advanced open water and other training. I never expect a tip, but I always welcome it. I do it because I love to. I meet my quota for a certain number of classes and I get a 20% discount from my lds. I buy a lot of gear, so that ends up being pretty good pay. I am also often "tipped by instructors," but not all the time. I have been tipped many times by students. I always say thank you, and keep the tips. I think students should tip when any of the following are present:
the DM retrieved a piece of gear you dropped or lost (even if it was rental gear)
the DM spent one on one time with you and was effective in resolving a problem you were having
the DM carried heavy equipment for you due to you inability to do so yourself.
I alos am a DM who has led divers on dives at different places on the planet. There, I expect to be tipped. I expect it becasue Igive good service- hauling and setting up tanks, answering questions, fixing things, retrieving dropped weights or cameras or other stuff, etc. Tipping should be based on service. As a rule, depending upon level of service, 5 dollars per tank, plus or minus a couple dollars, is very much appreciated.
DivemasterDennis

Why doesn't the instructor just charge an additional $60. for the course then he can give the DM $60. per student? The way he is doing it will turn a lot of people off and make them think he is doing a "bait and switch" type thing or whatever you care to call it.

I know I don't like suprises like that when buying something,knowing the FULL cost up front gives me the option of either accepting it or not, once I accept it I have no one to blame but myself if I think I paid too much.

T... To
I... Insure
P... proper
S... Service
I would call it a bribe not a tip.
A proper service is to be expected rather than after "lubrication". And it is an insult to the receiver as well as you are doubting his/her 'willingness" to provide you with an "proper" service.

Yup.... got one in my Deli too.

Sorry that you feel that it is ridiculous.

It was put there after many customers asked for it...they want to tip the girls behind the grill for good service. No one is expected to tip, but some people actually want to tip for good service. I know I do....

T... To
I... Insure
P... proper
S... Service

A lot of times I will tip a person at the beginning of their service, the amount that is customary... then if they do a really good job I wil give them some additional money. If they do a crap job, I don't come back.

I am usually a big tipper,having worked in the Restuarant business I know that tips are the bulk of most waitstaff salary,I would NEVER tip before any service provided because if the service sucks they may get nothing(I have done that and always explain why to the manager ).I have a problem tipping someone in a Deli who pours me a cup of coffee or hands me a buttered bagel over the counter or makes me a sandwich.I know of one Deli where the owner when he saw the tip cup told the employees to take it down and if they didn't like the amount they were being payed they could find employement somewhere else,no one quit and he apologized to his customers.

I always tip heavy on dive boats in the Caribbean where the DM's are helpful and cheery and make the experience fun.I have never tipped on a Northeast dive boat because the job of the DM/mate is to tie the anchor in and then release it nothing more.Usually they dive for free also the usually briefing is ...name of wreck.....depth....pool is open.......You're on your own from the moment you step on the boat till you depart.

I have a problem tipping someone in a Deli who pours me a cup of coffee or hands me a buttered bagel over the counter or makes me a sandwich.I know of one Deli where the owner when he saw the tip cup told the employees to take it down and if they didn't like the amount they were being payed they could find employement somewhere else,no one quit and he apologized to his customers.

As I stated.... the customers were the ones asking for the tip jar. When I first opened, I told my employees that there was no tip cup allowed... it was only after many requests from my customers that I placed one on the deli counter. Coffee is self serve as well as buttered rolls. My employees are making food at the grill.

If you don't like to give them a tip.... then don't it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, But as one customer who feels like it is a slap in the face to have a tip cup there I am not going to over ride the many people that have requested it. By the way, I have never had anyone ever say anthing negative about the tip cup and my deli is in a blue collar town where people aren't afraid to speak their minds.

All I am trying to say in this derail is..... don't take the tip cup so personally. It's not directed towards you.... if you wan't to leave a tip there is a place for it.... if not.... don't leave a tip.

Now as far as tipping before any service.... try it one day, I bet you get much better service..... and remember, you get what you pay for! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom