tizip leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As per my post with TiZip link.
The quote I posted is from the MasterSeal 10 page. I did find the section that was mentioned by aaen and that shows one of there other zippers in the photos. So you could use the instructions for there other zippers or the instructions for the exact zipper our drysuits are using. I will stick to lubing just the docking end. My reasoning is the MasterSeal 10 has exposed teeth unlike Tizip's other zippers and any lube could attract dirt, grime sediment or whatever and then cause excessive wear of the teeth when moving the slider. As the other instructions show you are supposed to wipe away any excess lube from the zipper which would be all but impossible with exposed teeth. I have been lubing just the docking end for almost three years and no issues so far. Maybe someone that has been lubing the whole zipper for the same or more time can report back to us with his results.

I'm pretty sure the zip used is their "SuperSeal" zip, it states that zip comes dry but should be lubricated whole length of the zip.

From the SuperSeal instructions

Lubrication:
Prior to installation in a product, no lubricant is applied to the TIZIPs. However, lubrication is essential to maintain the ease of operation and proper coupling of the chain. After installation into a product, manufacturers are requested to lubricate the TIZIP all along the chain tips, and to operate the slider the full length of the chain, in both directions, at least 5 times. Acid free, grease or oil lubricants may be used.
Initial lubrication and operation is essential for the full strength of the seal!

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 09:13 AM ----------

I stand corrected.

Andy, I've re read the website and yes you are correct it depends on what zip is being used by Santi. Some of TiZips require lubrication but another one of their zips that is apparently also used for drysuits does not mention lubrication. I have no idea. But if your way has worked without issue for 3 years then that's a good sign. Cheers.

buddhasummer, I think it comes down to weather the zipper has exposed teeth, as in the MasterSeal or if they are covered as in the photos of the SuperSeal.

And yesterday wet again, a totally flooded drysuit again. And again at home: no leaks found. Santi: seams almost not totally impermeable.
It passes the leaktest every time. So then there is told that it is my problem?
In my eyes: a tizip is absolutely useless and untrustable for drysuits.
last week I talked to another diver that has same problems, with a santi suit too with tizip. Not as often as I have it, but he was wet too and then next dive dry again.

And yesterday wet again, a totally flooded drysuit again. And again at home: no leaks found. Santi: seams almost not totally impermeable.
It passes the leaktest every time. So then there is told that it is my problem?
In my eyes: a tizip is absolutely useless and untrustable for drysuits.
last week I talked to another diver that has same problems, with a santi suit too with tizip. Not as often as I have it, but he was wet too and then next dive dry again.

Interestingly or ominously I was very wet weekend before last and dry this weekend. Strange/worrying. I would have thought given that Santi have been using the TiZip for a while now and in quantities high enough that any probable issues with the zip would be more widely reported/common?

Very perplexing. Can't you get a metal zip fitted? I know that will cost money but I'm not sure you have many other options and at the moment your drysuit is almost useless, as a drysuit anyway. I feel for you, it'd be driving me crazy and I'd end up just throwing money at it to make it go away. Good luck.

I ordered in 2012 a santi suit with METAL zip. After 3 months I got problems (bad batch), the shop said it is not leaking, so we don't replace. But the rubber came off. A lot of divers with a suit from that period had same problems. But the shop did like I was only diver. After a year it was leaking and I had 12 months warranty on the zip so they needed to replace for free. Santi said ok, you can replace, but only with a tizip. So I had no choice, only a tizip was possible. Without costs. I said, really better than steel? They said yes.
And now Santi gives 2 years warranty on the zip, and mines is just 1 year old, replaced last year in march. So I have another year warranty. But they say it is not leaking in a test. A new zip will cost 300 euro. Santi only replaces tizips. I paid 1800 euro for a drysuit, and mines is only used for a 240 dives. So normally a zip holds a 400-500 dives. The first zip holded just 170 dives, and the tizip less. A diveholiday is coming in the next month, there is no time to replace the zip now :( Nice to be totally flooded and 2 hours of deco to go, NOT.

I ordered in 2012 a santi suit with METAL zip. After 3 months I got problems (bad batch), the shop said it is not leaking, so we don't replace. But the rubber came off. A lot of divers with a suit from that period had same problems. But the shop did like I was only diver. After a year it was leaking and I had 12 months warranty on the zip so they needed to replace for free. Santi said ok, you can replace, but only with a tizip. So I had no choice, only a tizip was possible. Without costs. I said, really better than steel? They said yes.
And now Santi gives 2 years warranty on the zip, and mines is just 1 year old, replaced last year in march. So I have another year warranty. But they say it is not leaking in a test. A new zip will cost 300 euro. Santi only replaces tizips. I paid 1800 euro for a drysuit, and mines is only used for a 240 dives. So normally a zip holds a 400-500 dives. The first zip holded just 170 dives, and the tizip less. A diveholiday is coming in the next month, there is no time to replace the zip now :( Nice to be totally flooded and 2 hours of deco to go, NOT.

Wow, what a nightmare. I'd be a very unhappy camper in your situation.

Just to be a pain in the arse, are you positive the leak is not coming from somewhere else? In one post you said you turned yourself around to exit a building and then the suit flooded. I might suspect a leaky seal that opens the leak when you move a particular way. The same could be for the zipper attachment rather than the zipper itself. Next time you do a leak test, make sure to twist and move all the possible leak points while it is under pressure.

I am sure it is the zip. Why? sometimes dry and sometimes not. And all times the water comes in at the docking end. When you go out of the water directly and open the suit, then you see that the water comes from the docking end. Somewhere there the suit leaks. I have done now a 20 tests at home in the last 6 months, did it after all time I was wet again, never found a leak.

Can you describe a little more detail?

How are you leak testing? What is the method you are doing at home?

What depth does the leak occur?

What valves are on the suit?

What are you using for lubrication? Where do you lubricate? How often?

Back
Top Bottom