To those considering an OW class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debay777:
wow, 36 pages. 359 posts. and still growing. I am a new diver. I have my PADI OW and am enrolled in an upcoming AOW (which I need to get to Rescue). MY class was 4 days. I dont recall the breakdown of hours but most of it seemed like pool time mixed with OW and a dash of classtime. The instructor was great. he made sure we all knew our stuff. Do I think the class could have been "BETTER"? Yes. Do I think it would have been economical? NO. a 4,6,or 8 week class would be nice, dont get me wrong. But how much would it cost? I just barely had enough to scrape together some gear. If it wasnt for the break on being a public safety member I would still be wondering what its like to dive. I think that PADI and NAUI and all the others do an adequte job of getting people in the water fairly safely. Do I think that we could all use more time to practice individual skills? Yes. By God, I still dont have my bouancy under full control. But I am learning. PADI stresses meeting new divers and taking more classes and I think that is more or less the core of this thread. By meeting other divers and going out with them you have the opportunity to learn tricks and skills not taught in BOW. By taking more classes you are diving with your same LDS. They are familiar with your skill level and already know where you are at and how to help you. So in a way they are promotong that you gain more skills, just not in a steady 8 week course. I dont knock the long programs at all. If i had the money/opportunity I would have or would take one. I think I would be lots more comfortable in the water than I am now. I guess you have to look at the stats. Injuries dont appear to be on the rise. Something is working. It all boils down to personal opinion and skill level mixed in with the ability of your instructor to make sure you are doing everything that you should be in order to pass. Those that dont do well in the BOW are less likely to go out and dive anyway. Either they give it up or they seek more help until they get it right. long detailed skill based class vs short get em certified class. I dont really know who is more right.

I think we're getting too hung up on the length of the class. The issue is the content. You said yourself that "I still dont have my bouancy under full control."

If I were to define dive safety in terms of specific skills, buoyancy control would rate pretty high. Note that according to the DAN report that something like 60% of accidents involve buoyancy control problems and/or rapid ascents. Even though, that doesn't identify buoyancy control as the cause in all cases, isn't it enough to suggest that it is at the very heart of diving safely? I think so. Why don't the agencies set some meaningful buoyancy control requirements that students need to meet on a real dive?

Buoyancy control, the mechanics of trim, propulsion and functioning midwater with a buddy IS DIVING. That's not what's being taught. They're teaching underwater breathing while kneeling on the bottom. Do you really need a class for that? I didn't and the only people who do are the ones who are afraid of the water.

This is typical and is a result of a total failure to teach the basic mechanics of diving.
bperrybap:
While swimming we seemed to have
what we thought was reasonable control but when we stopped
we really couldn't maintain a horizontal position or hover all that
well. We ended up stiring up the water pretty bad while
practicing as we were rotating vertical or sinking to close to the
bottom or to the platforms.

It's not the length of the class it's WHAT is taught and HOW. You could teach a VERY short class and if you taught the right stuff, divers would be better off than they are now. To help out in my little corner of the world and to illustrate my point, I'll offer right here on the board that any local certified divers having these sorts of problems can give me a call. In a single day at a local dive site we'll fill in the missing pieces and have them well on their way to a whole different kind of diving that's a lot more fun and a lot less work.

Lets talk about cost though. When I owned a dive shop the majority of my students had already booked a tropical vacation and some still complained about the cost of the class. It's a matter of priorities. They decide to go on a dive trip and then found out that they need to be certified. They are out to buy ACCESS, as inexpensively as possible.

Of course classes are cheap and teaching doesn't pay much. Lots of instructors teach just for fun and it actually costs them money to teach. When they learn a little more about what's going on or the novilty wears off they quit. There just isn't enough money there to attract very many instructors who really know their stuff and can teach it. So...we have a bunch of new divers who are also new instructors who never learned the skill set that I'm talking about. The agencies don't teach it and they haven't been out long enough to learn it elsewhere, put two and two together and add it to their classes. It's not like they examined the pros and cons and decided on one way over another. They only know one way and they can't teach what they don't know.

Great, get your cert and go out diving with more experience divers... All too often, it's just the blind leading the blind.

It's a lot easier to learn the basics before even getting out of the pool. Yes, I said EASIER! It's easier on the student and it's easier on the instructor. It's more fun too because when you get out of the pool into OW, you can really dive, gain experience and enjoy it. Why isn't it done more often? Because they just don't know that it can be done or how.

you think your class was ok? Try something. While face to face with a buddy and maintaining eye contact, descend to ten feet. Stop for a bit and do a last check or whatever trips your trigger. Better yet, pull out your wet notes or slate and have a little conversation...but stay at 10 ft! No need to be kicking to maintain that depth because you're neutral. Continue your descent together and stop just a couple of feet off the bottom. Without disturbing the botom or changing depth, initiate air sharing in both directions and each of you remove and replace your mask...again don't change depth, touch or disturb the bottom. Make awareness of your buddy the priority while doing the mask R&R because if I were there I'd have your buddy swim off while you were doing it and if you didn't catch it you'd have failed. LOL but it's the same in real life. If you lose a buddy because of something simple like that it could be a real failure. Maybe even one that you'll regret for the rest of your life. Make sure that you are neutral and aren't kicking to maintain depth. Now ascend in a like manor as you descended, stopping midway for a bit.

There isn't anything tricky there. It's just ascents, descents, buoyancy control and other run of the mill skills that are needed on every dive that a diver will ever do including their very first. It's diving at it's most basic level. Still, take a random sampling of divers and see how they do.

Content, content, content! The in-water portion of a dive starts with the descent. Lets start our evaluation of training by looking at how descents are taught and what is required of the student. I don't think we need to look any further to see just how lacking it really is. Also note that you won't pick up the missing pieces in AOW, rescue, DM training or instructor training either. The important pieces that are left out are left out of the whole course lineup.

There is no sense in discussing time and cost without a common frame of reference regarding content. The content and performance requirements should be derived by what is actually done while diving. The time is just what it is. Unfortunately the industry controls the time required by limiting the content independantly of what you need to dive well...remember the descents. Current training has a total disconnect between what is taught, how and what we actually want to be able to do while diving. ok, the cost is right but you aren't being tught to dive. You are being sold access. It's really pretty expensive access if you think about it.

You'll probably survive a guided tour but I don't know that it should be called diving.

While face to face with a buddy and maintaining eye contact, descend to ten feet. Stop for a bit and do a last check or whatever trips your trigger. Better yet, pull out your wet notes or slate and have a little conversation...but stay at 10 ft! No need to be kicking to maintain that depth because you're neutral. Continue your descent together and stop just a couple of feet off the bottom. Without disturbing the botom or changing depth, initiate air sharing in both directions and each of you remove and replace your mask...again don't change depth, touch or disturb the bottom. Make awareness of your buddy the priority

Pretty basic stuff, huh?

This set of skills is the core of the DIR Fundamentals course -- and the inability to do these things is the reason for a great many people being unable to pass it. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that, of the reported 80 plus percent who DON'T pass the first time, the vast majority failed in precisely these skills -- in other words, the inability to control buoyancy and trim and maintain buddy awareness under any task-loading.

On the other hand, I don't know if ANYBODY could have taught me to do those things in an OW class. I'd like to think so, but I was pretty slow on the uptake.

See what I mean? http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=156823

Examples abound. Read that post carefully. In addition to the planning issues note the control issues. Note how the dive fell apart right from the start...the descent.

Just like the quote I included in my last post this one describes a situation that's so typical as to be the norm and something we see all the time and expect to see.

TSandM:
Pretty basic stuff, huh?

This set of skills is the core of the DIR Fundamentals course -- and the inability to do these things is the reason for a great many people being unable to pass it. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that, of the reported 80 plus percent who DON'T pass the first time, the vast majority failed in precisely these skills -- in other words, the inability to control buoyancy and trim and maintain buddy awareness under any task-loading.

Yes, it's basic. Couldn't we use the terms "funfamentals" and "basics" interchangeably? I've already said that I'm not GUE trained but based on my exerience diving with those who are I don't even think DIRF really gets into much DIR other than equipment configuration. It's mostly just diving fundamentals.
On the other hand, I don't know if ANYBODY could have taught me to do those things in an OW class. I'd like to think so, but I was pretty slow on the uptake.

Of course they could have. You had trouble because so many key pieces of information and skill practice was skipped in a rush to get to other things. Once you can clear a mask and a reg so you don't drown (which can be learned standing in shallow water), the next order of business is position control...which is trim, buoyancy control and propulsion. Diving is probably 95% just that and it's probably appropriate for dive training to reflect that ratio. That's the foundation that everything else needs to be built on and not something that you should have to pick up later with experience or other classes. What sense does it make to move on to air sharing, ESA's and all that other nonsense when you can't control your position in the water?

Present the theory, spend a few hours practicing it in confined water and then add the other skills that you might need while you are controling your position. They usually do everything exactly backwards and it's no wonder that it causes problems for new divers. You wouldn't have tried to get through med school before taking basic science and math courses would you? Yet that's what they did to you in your dive training.

Mike, I was actually agreeing with you -- these skills are BASIC, and everybody should have them, but when you give a class that only asks for that and over 80 percent of divers who take it can't pass it, it says something about how uncommon it is that people actually acquire these abilities. (Or maybe it just says that people who don't manage to acquire them go find the class to try to fix the deficiencies . . . I don't know.)

content is the key I guess. Our class was good, but I can see now that there were several places that needed more attention. I was able to perform a fin pivot but was struggleing with the hover. its past the point of contention for me, I just gotta deal with it and learn now.

Some.
Anyone.
Please, let this thread die.

Maxwell's Hammer:
Some.
Anyone.
Please, let this thread die.
Never.:lol:

I just took a two day class a few weeks ago, and I'm diving fine. I got my bouyancy in control (not perfect but I never hit or silt up the bottom), and I don't panic whenever I get water in my mask. When I took my class, I knew that I wouldn't be going on DM/babysitter dives, so I made sure I had adequate skills by the end of my class. Would I have been a better diver if I took an 8 week class? Yes. Would I have had such an increase in skills that it was worth the increase in time? No. I wouldn't even be diving if I had to take an 8 week class. Neither me nor my dad(who got re-re-certified again with me) have the time to take that class.

TSandM:
Mike, I was actually agreeing with you -- these skills are BASIC, and everybody should have them, but when you give a class that only asks for that and over 80 percent of divers who take it can't pass it, it says something about how uncommon it is that people actually acquire these abilities. (Or maybe it just says that people who don't manage to acquire them go find the class to try to fix the deficiencies . . . I don't know.)

What about a fundies type class that lasted for weeks instead of days?

No, this thread will never die! :D

TSandM:
All it takes is knowing what to teach and how to get it across in a variety of ways. With the right OW course you would have done just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom