Travel dive bag recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for advice on a travel dive bag on wheels. The lighter the better. I looked at the Akona AKB188 but it has received poor reviews on quality..any other suggestions? The sooner the better. I leave in 2 weeks :D

Walmart.com: Contico Storage Locker: Storage & Organization

Light, durable, inexpensive, exact size for checked baggage and they have wheels. They also have the advantage of NOT looking like scuba gear.
Use plastic zip ties to latch it, and tape a few under the lid for TSA to re-seal it. I usually put duct tape over the latches, as well.

Jeff

...don't waste you money of scuba specific bags, they are overrated and expensive.....I have been using your average $40 wheeled duffle bags from a local baggery place and mine have traveled half way around the globe already

Look at the Mares Cruise Roller. It is about half the weight of the bag I have now and there is no internal frame so you can fold it up. I have to wait until mine is worn out before I can get one.

Mares - stand for diving

If you click on the explore product bars it shows it folded up

I have the Mares Cruise Roller too - I love it and it has held up well.

Not sure of the reviews on the Akona AK188 bag you noted, but I used that bag twice now - to Roatan and to Hawaii and had this in it:
Balance BCD, Libra BCD, 2 sets of dins, 2 masks/snorkels, 2 wetsuits - 3mm and 4/3mm, 1 dive knife, small save a dive kit, 2 sets of boots and 2 sets of warm water gloves..

All under the wt limit. I was not throwing the bag around, and I had to use the cinch straps, but I had NO issue with the bag. I had used 2 other styles of bags in previous trips and had to do the counter-change-luggage-shuffle.

Maybe I got a slightly later build model, or some other production run. I have used the cheapie bags noted above as well, and they work good too. But the Akona held 2 people's gear (I carry on reg/computer setups)...

I have an XS SCUBA mesh bag on wheels with backpack straps and luggage pull handle. It was $100 and I put it in a surplus military duffelbag that I lock with the TSA lock. Ive been using it for 3-4 wears on many a flights. The XS SCUBA bag comes off the belt at airport and I remove the sleeve and can board the boat. Bag colapses small on boat when empty.
-DP

Last edited:
If you could see the rolling duffel that I use, and the damage that it has suffered in the course of traveling and as a checked bag, you would be a lot less inclined to spend a lot of money on a nice bag.

I've got a Jeep-branded rolling duffel was on sale somewhere in a store when I happened to be walking by. I don't remember what I paid, but I doubt it was over $40 because I am a very cheap bastard. I've had it since 2003, traveled to Australia and Egypt and Russia with it (among other places) and it's just fine. I recently used it to carry a complete set of gear (minus regs & computers - carried those on) for two people to Mexico and back.

No matter what you buy - I recommend buying a rolling duffle and a non-rolling duffle that is big enough to carry everything you want, and then put in the rolling duffel (a $10 surplus GI duffel is a great choice for this). This will "double-bag" your stuff. That way, when the rolling duffel takes some scuffing damage from WHATEVER, there will be an additional layer of protection (the non-rolling duffel) between your gear and whatever is causing that damage. Plus, you'll have an extra bag for whatever, should you need it.

Travel bags are to me as shoes were to Imelda Marcos. I have had every kind of dive bag, suit case and camera bag that exists in search of the perfect device.

Objectives/considerations:

1) No more than 62 linear inches.
2) Light weight (your weight limit is gross weight, a bag that weights 20lbs. empty can only carry 30lbs of belongings)
3) Wheeled.
4) Stands upright while empty

If you want something to hold everything, yet keep damp gear separate then

High Sierra Sport Company

It will hold a set of gear in the bottom and all my clothes and accessories in the top.

If you don't need separation then this one:

Eagle Creek ORV Trunk 30

We get two complete sets of gear, including wet suits, in this bag at under 46 lbs. with spare mask and SPG.

Warning, we have also chosen the enlightened path of smaller, lighter gear (e.g. full foot fins).

I have sworn off all dive related gear bags. They are inefficient in space/weight utilization.

Don't get me started on camera gear.

Back
Top Bottom