Trouble with dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Don't feel pressure to identify the shop until and unless you are fully ready. Some want the gory details just as some like to look at car crashes. You have more options open to you this way... so use your best judgement.

Well, with the information he already provided about the shop, its very easy to figure out who it is from SSI's webpage if you go to Dealer Search. (only one SSI shop in Abilene, TX)...

rkr3000:
I'm leary of stating the specific name of the shop right now, but I will tell you this much. There are two shops here in Abilene, Texas - one PADI and one SSI. The PADI shop is called The Dive Spot and is a highly reputable store. This is NOT the store I'm having trouble with. The SSI store is the one in question. Yes, I know some of you are going to say I should have started with the PADI store to begin with. Hind sight is 20/20.

If you were having a problem with the PADI shop, this thread would have had 3 times the responses. They would all be slamming PADI and pointing to this as another example of why PADI is so bad, money hungry, have bad standards, blah blah blah. At times it's seems like this board should be renamed "Anti-PADI Board".

LUBOLD8431:
Well, with the information he already provided about the shop, its very easy to figure out who it is from SSI's webpage if you go to Dealer Search. (only one SSI shop in Abilene, TX)...

Yes, I figured anyone real interested could find out on their own as well. I just don't want to get tagged for slamming their name.

As for a contract - no. Nothing written or signed. Only a "responsibilities" sheet presented to me yesterday when I met with the instructor and the dive shop owner. I simply paid for the class and received my manuels 6 months ago and then was told the instructor would be getting with me in a few weeks to set things up for over the winter months. He finally contacted me this past week after another diver with the shop questioned the status of my classes. I had contacted the store myself several times over these months inquiring as to the class status. All I got was vague comments about maybe in a month or so.

pt40fathoms:
If you were having a problem with the PADI shop, this thread would have had 3 times the responses. They would all be slamming PADI and pointing to this as another example of why PADI is so bad, money hungry, have bad standards, blah blah blah. At times it's seems like this board should be renamed "Anti-PADI Board".

I can't speak to which is better -SSI or PADI. I have taken several classes with SSI and with PADI. I've been satisfied with both programs. The PADI store here is outstanding. I plan on going through the PADI divemaster program as well.

rkr3000:
Yes, I figured anyone real interested could find out on their own as well. I just don't want to get tagged for slamming their name.

As for a contract - no. Nothing written or signed. Only a "responsibilities" sheet presented to me yesterday when I met with the instructor and the dive shop owner. I simply paid for the class and received my manuels 6 months ago and then was told the instructor would be getting with me in a few weeks to set things up for over the winter months. He finally contacted me this past week after another diver with the shop questioned the status of my classes. I had contacted the store myself several times over these months inquiring as to the class status. All I got was vague comments about maybe in a month or so.

That you have another reason to tell them to shove it. If I had to wait six months for a class without a firm start date, I wouldn't sign up. Yes, they do order you DiveCon materials from SSI and our shop has to put the DC candidates on the insurance. I believe that my course last year was $800.00 and about nine months of "indentured servitude" to the LDS owner. But, whereas the LDS owner here was up-front about what I was getting into from the start, yours was holding back important information.

I see where the money comes in now, but our shop cut off SP about six months ago as the owner was not happy with their threats to cut him off because he didn't push their whole line. Funny that he didn't make us get rid of our Twin-Jets (the fin that most of the staff use) when he did that, LOL.

Like ND, I don't believe in naming names on the internet. It is too easy for somebody to get hurt over a misunderstanding. I would definitely get my money back on this deal, though. You are being cheated.

While it is fresh in your mind (our's too) Lay everything out in order that it occured, starting with when you paid them. Everything that you can think of. Contact the BBB and IF the LDS is a member file a complaint, get all your ducks in a row BEFORE filing in SCC, then go back to the LDS and give the %$#@hole one last shot at doing the right thing DO NOT loose your temper but state your case, logically and like an adult would do. If he digs in it's your call if you want to go to court. Based on what I've read and I agree with Gen. you have a "slam dunk" BUT If this LDS owner runs his shop this way who thinks he's going to pony up the 560-I don't think you'll see it, I hope you do -Good Luck

Gen I agree, AG is the one I would go to, in my state they have a lot of clout. I have never had a problem not resolved when I called them.

Tell them that you need a refund and if you don't reveive one pronto you intend to post their name and address. Customers are too hard to find, especially in this economy, and if they don't value the relationship I'd go elsewhere. Sounds like they may be hurting financially. Only little people resort to this type of behavior when they get desperate. If they are this cheap would they cut corners when servicing your regulators??

Sounds like you got taken for a ride. A lot of different shops require that you own gear they sell for use with class however they should have told you this up front and let you use a loaner until you have been working with them long enough that you can purchase the equipment through a keyman program.

Heck! Call your local news channel and ask for the call for action desk. See how the owner likes the bad press all over TV. Bet his customers and his mind will change!!

Hallmac

Back
Top Bottom