Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen a jury duty summons that did not provide for rescheduling for various reasons. Their intent is not to penalize you. But if you go to jury duty selection a week before your vacation and get tagged for a two-week trial, you are going to have a difficult time getting out of it.

ReefHound:
I've never seen a jury duty summons that did not provide for rescheduling for various reasons. Their intent is not to penalize you. But if you go to jury duty selection a week before your vacation and get tagged for a two-week trial, you are going to have a difficult time getting out of it.

Yeah. Get it deferred before you show up for scheduling/selection.

ReefHound:
I got out of a long trial because I had a trip booked in 8 days... and this was at my deferred date. Phew!

Yeah I got out of my jury duty for a trip. Didn't tell them that I had trip ins, but I would always have it - caca happens.

DandyDon:
Yeah I got out of my jury duty for a trip. Didn't tell them that I had trip ins, but I would always have it - caca happens.

Trip insurance wouldn't have saved my vacation had the courts not deferred my service. My Cozumel trips are coordinated with other family members.

Does trip insurance cover that sort of thing, anyway? I have heard stories (I never use the stuff myself) of the conditions on collecting claims being fairly narrow.

The answer will vary with companies and policies, but yeah - you can include family members on the coverage at a discount. If a close family member of any insured has a problem that requires the insured to cancel, covered. Jury duty can be rescheduled, but so many things cannot be - heart attacks being so difficult to plan, etc.

I take it mostly as a cheap coverage for value of baggage beyond the $9.07 per pound the airlines are liable for losses; losses by a van driver who takes my bag off prematurely, a hotel porter, a ferry; and for non-accident medical coverage outside of the US - which my medical policy excludes.

My husband does all our trip planning with our travel agent. We always buy trip insurance. He researches on CheapCaribbean.com and other websites & then works with her to get our best deals.

Don, I think you need to recheck that. It is my understanding that DAN, when you have the top tier ins, covers illness and injury automatically.

DandyDon:
Nope. DAN dive insurance does not cover illnesses, lost luggage, trips cancelled or delayed for several reasons, etc. DAN has trip insurance, too - but I like this carrier.

We like to think that accidents are our only risk traveling, but not so. Airlines are only liable for $9.07 per pound on International flights. Jury duty happens. And so forth. Small price to cover you butt so you can relax and enjoy. :thumb:

pilot fish:
Don, I think you need to recheck that. It is my understanding that DAN, when you have the top tier ins, covers illness and injury automatically.
Not a bad idea, at all - glad to...

From this DAN Overview of coverage - Top or Preferred Plan ONLY: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

Diving Vacation Interruption: $5,000 Lifetime Max: Coverage for losses incurred for dive trip interrupted due to injury or illness after departure.
$250 deductible

Diving Vacation Cancellation: $10,000 Lifetime Max: Coverage for losses for dive trip canceled due to injury or illness before departure.
$250 deductible

Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage: $10,000 Lifetime Max: For eligible charges for treatment of non-diving accidents outside home country.
$250 deductible No coverage mentioned for Illness other than Trip Interruption or Cancellation above

No other mention of "illness" on the page, except for Decompression Illness

Additionally, from DAN FAQ on Preferred plan: "Will these benefits pay for a trip that I cancel because of my work schedule or illness to a family member?
No, these benefits are only activated if the insured diver is the one who is sick or injured in a such a manner that it would prevent him from diving."

From the "Cover You Butt Dept" - buy trip insurnace before leaving the US. :crafty:

DandyDon:
Not a bad idea, at all - glad to...

From this DAN Overview of coverage - Top or Preferred Plan ONLY: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

Diving Vacation Interruption: $5,000 Lifetime Max: Coverage for losses incurred for dive trip interrupted due to injury or i[COLOR="purple[B]"]llness [/B][/COLOR]after departure.
$250 deductible

Diving Vacation Cancellation: $10,000 Lifetime Max: Coverage for losses for dive trip canceled due to injury or illness before departure.
$250 deductible

Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage: $10,000 Lifetime Max: For eligible charges for treatment of non-diving accidents outside home country.
$250 deductible No coverage mentioned for Illness other than Trip Interruption or Cancellation above

No other mention of "illness" on the page, except for Decompression Illness

Additionally, from DAN FAQ on Preferred plan: "Will these benefits pay for a trip that I cancel because of my work schedule or illness to a family member?
No, these benefits are only activated if the insured diver is the one who is [COLOR="purple[B]"]sick [/COLOR]or injured in a such a manner that it would prevent him from diving

From the "Cover You Butt Dept" - buy trip insurnace before leaving the US. :crafty:

It does cover you for illness, but not if your spouse was ill and you could not go.:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom