Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Wanta trade some spare stuff - got lots...!
LOL!! Tell me about it!!! I've got more odd dive bags, reg bags, extra booties and other odds & ends in my garage .... my car hasn't seen the inside of the garage in years!!:yourkiddingme:

Dork Fish,

My GF are heading down to Cozumel from Chicago at about the same time as you are. We're aiming for 6/28-7/8. Anyway, we went to Our World Underwater here in Chicago and came across a pretty good deal. Deep Exposure has a pretty good deal for diving and stay at Casa Mexicana. The deal is something like $777 per person for hotel and diving. Unique benefits are that Casa Mexicana includes a full breakfast buffet in that price and the rooms are supposed to be really nice (see trip advisor rating). Hotel is not on a beach though, although it is right downtown. Then Deep Exposure includes lunch with their 2 tank/day dive package. So you then only have to worry about dinner. Other option for a week long stay is to look at the El Cantil condos which are supposed to be nice (no beach but nice pool and good town location). The prices are actually pretty reasonable if you do a whole week.

Then thing that's getting us is that we cannot find good airfare to Cozumel from Chicago. Best we can find right now is about $500 RT per person after taxes. Does anyone have any better ideas on airfare. We've checked the usual places. I was hoping that we could find airfare for more like $400 (or hopefully less). So it goes sometimes.

niu_roadkill:
Then thing that's getting us is that we cannot find good airfare to Cozumel from Chicago. Best we can find right now is about $500 RT per person after taxes. Does anyone have any better ideas on airfare. We've checked the usual places. I was hoping that we could find airfare for more like $400 (or hopefully less). So it goes sometimes.
The best time to shop for air fares is mid week, preferably in the wee hours, but I just ran Orbitz and Sidestep side by side. Orbitz failed, but Sidestep found...

AMERICAN AIRLINES 400 ORD Chicago Jun 28, 2007
10:55 AM MIA Miami 03:00 PM

OPERATED BY MEXICANA DE AVIACION 8256 MIA Miami Jun 28, 2007
06:00 PM CUN Cancun 06:45 PM

AMERICAN AIRLINES 2212 CUN Cancun Jul 08, 2007
07:30 AM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Jul 08, 2007 10:10 AM

AMERICAN AIRLINES 2344 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth Jul 08, 2007
12:05 PM ORD Chicago 02:20 PM M83

1 Adult 301.00 USD 108.50 USD 409.50 USD
Total Price 409.50 USD

Not the way I'd wanta go, but it is cheaper, and the bus/ferry connection is doable. Other flighs are availble. Go to AA.com

Continental would take you to Cancun RT for $412 inclusvie on 6/27 & 7/6 - but look again in the wee hours mid week. Have credit card ready.

niu_roadkill:

Like I said earlier, prices will go down to about $435 including taxes from O'Hare. That is the best price i've ever gotten out of O'Hare (non-charter). You have to be quick to catch those fares sometimes. Don't just rely on Expedia to give you the lowest price... check the Continental & AA site too, they sometimes vary by a wide margin.

People are forgetting that Dork Fish :)D) is most likely only going to snorkel. Another option would be to stay up North at a place like Playa Azul which has a beach and some decent snorkeling. It's a really nice hotel too. The only drawback to that is your choices are limited as to who you can dive with unless you're willing to taxi to the Caleta. Ha ha, not trying to confuse the issue.

But I'm a FA fan. We've been going for 4 years, and have a good relationship with the staff. There's been some criticism lately on the board about it being run down, I know it took some serious hurricane wilma wear and tear. Someone said the hotel looks dowdy, and I think that's fair. I'll take dowdy over glitzy any day. At least I can relax a little.
I've found the AI pretty much pays for itself for breakfast, lunch and drinks after dives and before dinner. We usually go into town for dinner. I don't think eating in town is as cheap as it used to be, last year I felt prices had gone up from previous trips. Good dinners with wine ran from $45.00 to around $100 for two. Yes, there are cheaper places, but I remember we are on vacation people, and my non-diving wife deserves a nice meal. La Veranda was incredibly romantic, BTW. Taxi to town was (is?) 60 pesos for 2, 80 pesos for 4 people, plus tip. Prices are set and we have never been overcharged. I prefer it to a car rental, I don't like parking the car in town or driving back after dinner.
We did have 2 good dinners on the AI in the hotel last year, good food and service, but not a lot of choices.
There are more non-divers on Coz than there used to be, the main pool does get noisy in the afternoon. The trick is going to the small pool in the afternoon, on the ocean side of the road. It's much quieter. Your 12-year old would probably prefer the main pool, more kids and activities.
Good snorkeling right off the beach, in a big roped off area. You can swim right along the wall, and see a terrific amount of life within a yard of shore. The creatures are just smalller than on the reef.
Try to get a high room, I love sitting on the balcony looking over the sea before the restaurant opens for breakfast. Best part of the day. Except for the diving.
We'll be there March 30 through April 9. I'm looking foward to Easter on the Island. I'd love to see some SB'ers!
Oh yeah, Sunday night festival in the Plaza. Get dressy and dance in the town square with everyone in town! It's the reason to travel! :D

stevenq99:
caseybird

We will be at FA April 2nd-10th See you there.

Well, how cool is that? I'll be wearing scuba gear.:D
(No, seriously, I'll PM in a couple of weeks.)

FA?

My lovely biride and I are trying to decided if we should go to Coz or back to Hawaii.
I'm leaning toward Coz right now. I like a nice hotel, not necessarily a resort. However, we do plan on diving every day, but the last one. I don’t really want to rent a car so I’d like something near town.

Flights for Los Angeles? AI no AI it doesn’t much matter to me. Best time of year – worst time.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Teamcasa:
FA?

My lovely biride and I are trying to decided if we should go to Coz or back to Hawaii.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave
I like COZ way more than Hawaii. More laid back. Much better diving. The HI diving seems mostly pitched to real new divers. You can find good dives at every level in COZ. The food is cheaper. Fiesta (in the town square Sunday night) is awesome.

Steve

Just a couple of thoughts if you are thinking of booking Hotel Cozumel.

Don't use Dive Paradise just for the convience. Have your husband research and decide what dive op to go with. They will pick him up at the boat dock there. He will still be able to use the rinse tanks if he uses someone else and the dive lockers belong to the hotel.....not Dive Paradise. All you have to do is ask for a locker key at the desk.

We usually get the best prices for hotels on either Apple or Funjet. Worryfree and Adventure Tours run have some decent prices, also.

Here's a few sites for you to check out....Have fun!

http://www.applevacations.com/index.do?command=showHome

http://www.funjet.com/

http://www.worryfreevacations.com/home/index.do?rfr=OVWF8

http://vacationsbyadventure.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom