Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Dork Fish:
I think we are going to go with Hotel Cozumel just because it is within walking distance to town.

If we are booking the diving seperately, what should we expect to pay for a four days of diving?

Diving Cozumel runs from about $50 for a two tank trip to about $90, depending on which operator you choose.

A few things to consider in favor of the onsite dive op, ONLY when they are good ,as is this case with Dive Paradise, but not perfect.

You don't have to run around and visit the dive shop [take taxi or walk] to a different location to sign all the papers.
You have rinse tanks right there for you gear
You have safe lockers to store your gear in right at the dive shop.
They are usually cheaper than other off site dive ops.
When you are finsished diving for the week your gear is right there.
ON site dive ops usually have perferred spots to pull into dock and dont charge a docking fee.
If faster boat is required you can order it for just a few bucks more.
A biggy, convenience.

hey, your on vacation so keep it simple

I'm a Dork Fish:
I think we are going to go with Hotel Cozumel just because it is within walking distance to town.

If we are booking the diving seperately, what should we expect to pay for a four days of diving?

Wow, I know. I can not believe how frustrating this has been trying to plan. Well the fact that it is a little more than we expected $$$ wise. Here is what we have so far...

CaraDonna Dive Adventures: $3,366.00

Hotel Cozumel (All-Inclusive)
2 Adults and 1 Child
Includes: Airfare, Hotel, transfers, taxes, and diving for (1) person
7 nights stay
4 days of diving (2 - 2 tank) and (2 - 3 tank) one diver

My son wants to dive so we will have to negotiate that outside of this deal. They will only allow him to go 40-60 Ft max. So he would have to go for the afternoon/evening dives.

Apple Vacations: $3,013.36
Includes everything but the diving.
We would have to purchase that seperately

Are these numbers where they should be?

I'm a Dork Fish:
Wow, I know. I can not believe how frustrating this has been trying to plan. Well the fact that it is a little more than we expected $$$ wise. Here is what we have so far...

2 Adults and 1 Child
7 nights stay

My son wants to dive so we will have to negotiate that outside of this deal. They will only allow him to go 40-60 Ft max. So he would have to go for the afternoon/evening dives.

Actually, considering that it includes air and diving + all-inclusive hotel...I don't think that's a bad deal. Take away the value of the flights ($300 pp to be conservative) and you're only looking at about $115 pp/per day average. That's really not bad.

You could probably book everything on your own and save some money, but travel agents are the middle person, so they need to make their money as well.

You never said where you are traveling from...or maybe you did and I missed it.

That is very reasonable for 3 people. I have paid half that for just me alone.

I'm a Dork Fish:

2 Adults and 1 Child
7 nights stay

I am going to price things seperately just to see the price difference.

We will be traveling from Chicago. Probably out of O'Hare.

stevenq99:
were you offered the ai at check in or did you book it that way? Do you remember the prices on breakfast?
We booked it that way. If you just buy breakfast, it's pretty expensive. I know one time we went, it cost about $50 per person per week for the AI. That's why I say it is worthwhile just for breakfast and beer. It varies, depending on what kind of deals are available. I just priced a Saturday-to-Saturday trip in March on the Apple Vacations website and the price differential for the AI is $259 per person. Still not bad, that's $37/day for seven days. I wouldn't feel like I was wasting money eating dinner in town. We eat at least some of our lunches at the resort because we're so hungry when we get off the boat.

I keep suggesting new members complete their profiles as it comes in handy for discussions - like where from, it'll show up on ever post.

It's not required, tho - you don't have to.

Well the fact that it is a little more than we expected $$$ wise.
Doesn't it always go like that? :lol2:

Here is what we have so far...

2 Adults and 1 Child
7 nights stay
Cheap for those dates...! :thumb:

Go ahead and shop, take good notes, but that's a good price. And it's an important investment. I know people who do not do vacation trips because of the money - not good for the sanity.

Got your passports yet?

Don't forget Trip Insurance.

For the divers, don't forget DAN Insurance, safety sausages, storm whistles. :wink:

I'm a Dork Fish:
We will be traveling from Chicago. Probably out of O'Hare.
In that case... http://vacationhotline.net

They are on Fullerton (near Ashland). The website lists the cheapest airfares from Apple & Funjet so you can just check that periodically. Unfortunately I don't think either will be having charters in July. Gone are the days when ATA & United flew direct :shakehead

I used to use them to book my vacations thru Apple & Funjet but then just started doing it online. Price was the same though. The agents name I used was Clarice, she is a sweetheart.

Aaaargh! They have charter air in March for $199 ($290 w/ tax)... and that's direct! Man, I need a vacation from this cold!

edit: FYI, Continental & AA from O'Hare should be around $435 (w/ taxes) a person (if you catch it on the right day)

Sorry, isn't that always how it goes for newbies :p

Cheap, well that kindof makes me feel better.

Passports, not yet!

Trip Insurance?

Also, this is what I found booking everything seperately...

Airfare: $1,593.00
Hotel: $1,540.00
Diving: $298.00 (4 days 2 - 2 tank and 2 - 3 tank)
$3,431.00

I am sure that I will be missing some kind of tax!

Back
Top Bottom