Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Dork Fish:
Wow, this really helps out alot!!! Thanks

It sounds as though the best two options are:

Hotel Cozumel
Fiesta Americana

Now, I figured that I could get a better deal by booking through a travel agent versus booking everything individually. Anyone know about some good deals out there for these hotels?

Try Bay Adventures http://www.bayadventures.com/

Go to

www.cheapcaribbean.com

We discovered them last year and have made several last minute trips with considerable savings. We just booked a 9 nite trip, all inclusive at Fiesta Americana including air for 2 of us for $2424 including taxes and transfers. Normally, we use miles, but this was too cheap. We have stayed at FA many times and just started using AI because it pays for water, drinks, breakfast, lunch and we still go into town several times. That does not include diving. We are using BlueXTsea this time (I hope), but have used Dive House before and they are fine. There were other options for Cozumel Hotels, but we are planning some other trips and spacing out our dive dollars.

Hope this helps

I'm a Dork Fish:
Wow, this really helps out alot!!! Thanks

It sounds as though the best two options are:

Hotel Cozumel
Fiesta Americana

Now, I figured that I could get a better deal by booking through a travel agent versus booking everything individually. Anyone know about some good deals out there for these hotels?

We are staying at Fiesta Americana in April and found the best deal through Apple Vacations of Funjet. We are not dong the all inclusive as the food is very good it town.

I'm a Dork Fish:
We are trying to keep this reasonable but I don't want to stay at a dump.
I like the idea of "All - inclusive" but some of them seem to be a little unreasonable.
Most of the less expensive places are actually very nice. The main difference is that they lack things like a TV and phone. Personally I couldn't care less about this; I don't plan on sitting around watching TV while I am in Cozumel. When I was there recently with my girlfriend we paid $40/night for a place in town. It was nicer than many places that I have stayed for far more money elsewhere. It wasn't fancy but it had everything we needed. They also kept us stocked with bottled water and when the maids came they would fold the towels into animals and leave them on our bed. I never knew that it was possible to make an elephant out of towels.

From what I have researched, alot of the all inclusive resorts have beach fronts that are disappointing for snorkeling. Is this true?
Ironshore (rocky) tends to have the best snorkeling. Some of the resorts are on sandy beaches which have less animal life.

I do like the idea of being close to town. We would probably do a majority of shopping versus eating. I heard that it can get pretty costly eating in town.
Eating in town can be much cheaper than an all-inclusive. The food is also much better. There are many places that you can find tacos for 50c. 3 Tacos and a drink can be had for about $3 and makes an excellent lunch. On the other end of the spectrum you can spend $50 or more per person on a fancy lobster dinner and drinks. On average I usually spend about $10/meal for lunch and dinner while there. Some meals are much less but then I also like to splurge at a few of the nicer places while traveling. A quick trip to the grocery store and/or a bakery takes care of most of my breakfasts for very little money

that is possibly close to town (Not sure if this is good or not)
I like being close to town because it makes it easy to get out and about. It makes eating very easy and it also makes it easy to wander and explore the town. The main advantage of staying at a resort outside of town is having a beach right there. If you stay in the right parts of town it is very easy to get to the water.

that will take my husband to the "good" diving spots
Almost all of the diving on Cozumel is boat diving. Many of the resorts have or are very near docks where a multitude of dive shops will pick you up. Diving is easy almost anywhere you stay on the island.

~Jess

CBulla:
Where is Dandy Don when you need him..
Huh...? :confused:

I really could not have been that much help with this one if I'd be first here, but it looks like she's got some good suggestions and counsel from many who know Coz better than me.

Good luck on the family development project. :thumb:

Judging by your name.. a corn dog stand would be your friend :D
Is that a TV joke? Don't get it? :blush:

I'm a Dork Fish:
Hotel Cozumel
Fiesta Americana

I almost always book everything separate, even with Funjet or Apple it sometimes is cheaper booking the hotel and air separate rather than take one of their packages. Go to their sites and play around a little... The airfare usually drops considerably the nearer to the trip you are. If going through either of those you'd be best to wait until a month or 2 before you leave.

We went late May last year and the cheapest rate we found was through Expedia, they had a special room rate at Hotel Cozumel. Book 4 days get 1 free or something like that... Once again, play around with the sites and you never know what might pop up. As I said earlier, I like to wait... OK, check that, I usually plan last minute and it seems to me that you can get a better rate 2 months before the trip rather than 6 months. YMMV

I've been to Coz 11 times in the past 3-4 years and have flown ATA, United, Continental & AA. Booked through Apple & Funjet as well. If you've got the time, keep plugging away at all the sites mentioned by others and Expedia, Travelocity etc. Good Luck!

Oh, my observations on Hotel Cozumel: If you want a bit more peace and quiet, ask for an Ocean-view room. It will cost you $10 more per night but was well worth it (to me at least). No yelling & screaming from around the pool. On the other hand, with a 12 year old you can get one with a balcony overlooking the pool and keep an eye on your child. My trip report from then is here. Stay close to town... Taxi's are cheap and there are some great (and not at all expensive) restaurants in town. Take a gander at Christi's Restaurant suggestions at this link and explore!

One more thing: I agreee, your husband does not have to go through the onsite operator at any of these hotels, Unless he likes big slow boats he will be better served using one of the more personal dive ops. I use Blue XT~Sea but there are quite a few other good choices as well.

OK, one LAST thing: Another good resource on Cozumel is cozumelmycozumel and their discussion forum

We've done Fiesta Americana several times and I think it would be a good choice for you. I have found the best deals for the FA through Apple Vacations. Funjet is usually a little higher. You may have good luck with other consolidators or going through a local dive shop or travel agency.

I am not normally an all-inclusive fan and I love the restaurants in Cozumel, but we have been booking the AI at the FA. It is often so cheap that it is worthwhile just for breakfast (you don't really have time to go to town for breakfast if you are diving), beers, snacks, and the occasional lunch or dinner. We still go to town for dinner most nights and don't feel like we are wasting money. Cabs to town are not too expensive from the FA, about $8. The pool (which most of the rooms face) can get pretty noisy, so you might want to consider paying a little extra for the casitas out back. You have no view of the water, but it's a lot quieter.

divingjd:
We've done Fiesta Americana several times and I think it would be a good choice for you. I have found the best deals for the FA through Apple Vacations. Funjet is usually a little higher. You may have good luck with other consolidators or going through a local dive shop or travel agency.

I am not normally an all-inclusive fan and I love the restaurants in Cozumel, but we have been booking the AI at the FA. It is often so cheap that it is worthwhile just for breakfast (you don't really have time to go to town for breakfast if you are diving), beers, snacks, and the occasional lunch or dinner. We still go to town for dinner most nights and don't feel like we are wasting money. Cabs to town are not too expensive from the FA, about $8. The pool (which most of the rooms face) can get pretty noisy, so you might want to consider paying a little extra for the casitas out back. You have no view of the water, but it's a lot quieter.

were you offered the ai at check in or did you book it that way? Do you remember the prices on breakfast?

I think we are going to go with Hotel Cozumel just because it is within walking distance to town.

If we are booking the diving seperately, what should we expect to pay for a four days of diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom