Trying to Plan trip to Cozumel...need suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI....just got my passport back from renewal it took exactly 6 weeks...but if you have never had one I think you have to apply in person...(not sure)..but I heard the lines were long and kids had to be taken out of school and parents missed work etc...
you still have time but FWIW

I'm a Dork Fish:
Sorry, isn't that always how it goes for newbies :p
Are you a newbie? Maybe you mentioned that yesterday?
Cheap, well that kindof makes me feel better.

Passports, not yet!

Trip Insurance?
Passports ae required for each person and take 6 weeks if nothing goes wrong. Might be good to start ASAP.

Trip Insurance. What happens to your payments if you have to cancel a trip, before or during? If luggage is lost by the airline which is only liable for $9.07/pound on international flights. Are you totally sure that you medical insurance covers you well outside the US? Caca happens.

For the divers, don't forget DAN Insurance, safety sausages, storm whistles. Caca happens in the water, too - and you really, really want to be prepared. I've never had to use any of these, but always had them for every dive.

but if you have never had one I think you have to apply in person.
That is correct. It's been on the news for some time now, but so many are not doing it until time is tight.

DandyDon:
For the divers, don't forget DAN Insurance, safety sausages, storm whistles. Caca happens in the water, too - and you really, really want to be prepared. I've never had to use any of these, but always had them for every dive.
A rattle wouldn't hurt either - as I found out recently caca happens underwater too .... was with a group and one diver was well behind her buddy & the DM, but a distance in front of my buddy & I. She had a hose blow at depth, and no one saw but us. We couldn't reach her fast enough, but I yanked that rattle and shook like crazy so everyone in front (but closer) to her turned, and the DM jumped in and managed the situation. We had been joking about my rattle earlier, but afterwards I think a few people decided to add one to their gear .....

Quote:
but if you have never had one I think you have to apply in person.
DandyDon:
That is correct. It's been on the news for some time now, but so many are not doing it until time is tight.
:11: I hadn't realized about the 'in-person' rule .... glad I've had mine for a number of years .... just need to make sure to keep it renewed!!

Dork Fish:

I know what you mean about eyepopping from all the research. I tend to do that myself. But at some point you have to accept that you will have a great time and it isn't necessary to make the perfect plans and get the perfect price.

I second (third, tenth?) the rec for Hotel Coz, AI style. On the southern edge of town, a 15 minute walk or $3 cab ride, Chedraui super mercado is two blocks north. I've found the adder for AI is only about $30/day per person (kids 12 and under stay free) and you can get your money's worth just from breakfast, snacks, and drinks even if you do eat out. We like to go into town a few times and have a few nice meals, but most of the time we just want to just eat something and get it over with. After a long day in the hot sun and saltwater, maybe with a sunburn or a buzz from poolside daquiris, we'd rather not have to spend 2 or 3 hours to catch a cab to town, make a decision on where to eat, deal with the crowds and the wait, and catch a cab back. It's nice to wander into the onsite restaurant, eat from the buffet line, and be out of there and back in the room or lounge chair in 30 minutes.

The prices you've found are not bad but should get better. They aren't discounting yet. The best deals are the last minute deals but you'll start seeing deals sometime in April/May. In your separate pricing, you left out the airport/hotel shuttles, which will be about $15/person RT to Hotel Coz but are included in total packages.

Some may disagree, but I've found the bottom line deals about the same (+- 5%) from the various vacation package operators, at any given time. The deals originate from the hotel although you won't get your best price directly from the hotel. They know the operators are their ticket to success and they want you to book through them.

Expedia will be competitive with anybody and is a well known name that will adhere to it's policies. Research the terms of those policies regarding cancellation procedures, etc. I wouldn't trust some company I've never heard of - anyone can throw up a nifty website. In reality, many of them are all owned by a few people anyway. For example, Expedia owns hotels.com and many others.

On the other hand, airlines offer their best deals on their own website. You might do better booking hotel through an Expedia-type operator and the airfare directly.

If you go with Dive Paradise then upgrade to their faster boats. It's not much more and their cattle boat is s..l..o..w.. You'll have dive lockers by the dock next to showers and rinse tanks. Some ops will store your gear for you but I like to keep mine nearby in case I want to hop in for a shore dive or just check something out. You can also book hotel/dive packages with Dive Paradise.

I just checked Funjet for your dates, air/hotel/shuttle for $2820, add the $300 for diving and you got about $3120.

Diver Kat:
A rattle wouldn't hurt either - as I found out recently caca happens underwater too .... was with a group and one diver was well behind her buddy & the DM, but a distance in front of my buddy & I. She had a hose blow at depth, and no one saw but us. We couldn't reach her fast enough, but I yanked that rattle and shook like crazy so everyone in front (but closer) to her turned, and the DM jumped in and managed the situation. We had been joking about my rattle earlier, but afterwards I think a few people decided to add one to their gear .....
WE have a tendency to add all sorts of suggestions when these thread go like this, and the new poster can feel like they have to buy a Jr. Dive Store - like I have in one bed room.

I'm not adding a rattle to my kit. I'm glad you like yours, but buddies need to stay together.

ReefHound:
You'll have dive lockers by the dock next to showers and rinse tanks. Some ops will store your gear for you but I like to keep mine nearby in case I want to hop in for a shore dive or just check something out.

BTW Hotel Cozumel owns the dive lockers so you can use them without using the onsite dive op....just ask for a dive locker key when you check in :D

I usually leave my gear with the op I dive with while I stay there....they rinse it daily and have it set up on a tank when they pick me up at the hotel pier

parrotheaddiver:
BTW Hotel Cozumel owns the dive lockers so you can use them without using the onsite dive op....just ask for a dive locker key when you check in :D

I usually leave my gear with the op I dive with while I stay there....they rinse it daily and have it set up on a tank when they pick me up at the hotel pier

All true. I don't allow anyone else to take care of or set up my gear, that's just my personal choice.

DandyDon:
..... and the new poster can feel like they have to buy a Jr. Dive Store - like I have in one bed room.
Isn't that part of the addiction??? And half the fun???? :D Everyone loves new gadgets & gear ... even if you really don't need them!!!:wink:

Diver Kat:
Isn't that part of the addiction??? And half the fun???? :D Everyone loves new gadgets & gear ... even if you really don't need them!!!:wink:
Wanta trade some spare stuff - got lots...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom