Want to open a dive shop.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This seems like it would suck all the joy out of the sport. Why not find a high paying job elsewhere and take vacation time for nice trips you can then afford. Retire early and dive daily; money won't be an issue.

This is overlooking the fact that many, many small businesses fail every year and scuba is no exception. Don't think you'll be able to jump in and start a business with no experience.

Have you worked any jobs yet? At 15 I'm betting your work experience is limited. Wait to make those decisions when you have a little more insight into what you could stand on a day to day basis. In the case of the dive shop, it likely won't be diving.

Not true as far as I can tell ... I know lots of dive shop owners who aren't reg techs. In our area we have a guy who services regulators for many of our local dive shops.

You don't have to be a service tech to sell gear ... most manufacturers will, however, insist that you take their training if you're planning to service their gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Makes sense. I am trying to understand how this would work for someone who is operating out of the basement with zero technical know how except how to use equipment. Lets say he sells a used regulator which gets involved in an accident. Is there any small business/liability insurance that he could use to protect himself? Or what if a drysuit that he sells has a valve related accident. Would his divemaster / instructor certification also protect him against retail related incidents?

Makes sense. I am trying to understand how this would work for someone who is operating out of the basement with zero technical know how except how to use equipment. Lets say he sells a used regulator which gets involved in an accident. Is there any small business/liability insurance that he could use to protect himself? Or what if a drysuit that he sells has a valve related accident. Would his divemaster / instructor certification also protect him against retail related incidents?
No. Your DM insurance will not cover equipment sales, rental, repair. You need a shop policy for that. Even though I have a liveaboard policy, ($38,000 per year), I have to have an additional shop policy ($6,000 per year) so that I can repair customers regulators while underway.

No ... DM/Instructor insurance only covers you while you're acting in the capacity of a DM or instructor ... in other words, classes or as a professional dive guide.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm only 15 years old, but in the 5 years I've been diving, I have logged over 50 dives in places like Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize, and more. I simply
fell in love with diving and I am extremely knowledgable and experienced at my young age on diving. I have a very close friend who is also interested in opening a dive shop who is a year younger than me. We both have a very strong interest in marine sciences and diving. I recently completed the Baltimore Aquarium's Student Volunteer Program which not only taught me about a field I was interested in, but also opened a lot of doors for me. I plan on going to college and potentially getting a degree in business or a life science. It's one of my dreams to open a dive business somewhere and just live an awesome, fun ass life. My friend and I surprisingly put together a business plan even though we tend to be a bit unfocused haha. Anybody any suggestions?
Work in a dive shop. We have had many young people work in our store over the years. I believe they all benefited from the experience. One ended up having their own store. All of them went on to college.

Go for It! Live your dream.

Even if it doesn't workout, you will have a Fun Journey.

No. Your DM insurance will not cover equipment sales, rental, repair. You need a shop policy for that. Even though I have a liveaboard policy, ($38,000 per year), I have to have an additional shop policy ($6,000 per year) so that I can repair customers regulators while underway.

See. That is where this whole idea spins our of control for part-timers wanting to do this without major investment. I am thinking, he would be able to sell mask fins snorkels and wetsuits without insurance and not have issues but to sell regulators, drysuits, bcds and possibly tanks, it would be wise for him to have a shop insurance. Now if it is going to cost him 6000 USD a year to be covered for that then he has to be making a lot of sales.

Hey there Cameron,

How great that at 15 you have been diving for 5 years! My son is 16 and although he sometimes expresses interest, he has yet to decide he wants to dive. I hope that he does someday, but that is entirely up to him.

It is also great to hear that you have some goals and aspirations. That is very admirable at your age.

You should also realize you are getting a valuable lesson in life right here in your thread. Any time in life that you express your goals, whether there is financial risk or not, you will always have some people who support your efforts and some people who are naysayers.

Don't ever let others distract you from your own goals and aspirations. If you can dream it, believe in it and work to achieve it, it is absolutely possible. Is it guaranteed? No. Is it possible? Yes!

You are so young that regardless of your outcome, you have lots and lots of time. Not something that everyone on this board has.

You have had lots of good advice. Start trying to buy and flip gear for a profit. Learn the value of the used gear. Work in a shop, get your degree, dive, dive, dive. Most of all, keep your eye on your goal.

My LDS is in Sacramento. They have been there since 74. The current owner has a profile well worth you to read.

The article they reference is over 16 years old, but he is still the owner and the dive shop is still going strong.

About Us | Dolphin Scuba Center

Good luck and always try and live your dreams.

When I was 15, I wanted to be heavy metal guitarist. Yap. That was my career choice! At age 16 I had decided that I would be a boxer and by the time I was 17, I had decided that I would be a competitive bodybuilder! This whole idea of "following your dream" is good for someone who has identified a dream worth pursuing in the long run. If the OP is anything like I was when I was his age then he is no where near that. This advice could lead him into a career choice that he would outgrow by his next birthday.

The idea of working / interning in a diveshop is the most realistic one because that would make him see what diveshop work is really like (without investment from his own pocket) and whether it is something he would like to pursue for the rest of his life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom