Want to open a dive shop.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Cameron:

You have quite a list of accomplishments so far. Keep up the good work.

As the previous threads indicate, owning a dive shop is a tough business in this age of competition from internet sales, thin profit margins, and so on. I won't repeat the litany of reasons not to pursue your dream. Small businesses of all types (not just dive shops) come and go, some persist, most don't. If you think you have that entrepreneurial passion, go for it. It is a risk. A lot of people are risk adverse, so they advise other people to be risk adverse as well. If you are risk adverse, starting any small business, mush less a dive shop, is probably not for you. Like every small business owner that I know (including several dive shop owners). you will scrape along, work long hours, wonder if it is worth it, but you will be working for yourself which is a reward unto its own from what they tell me.

Please don't be discouraged before you start. If I had a dollar for everyone who said "there are no jobs in marine biology, archaeology, and so on, I could probably give you the money to start your business. Everyone I know who really wanted the job, who had a passion for it, figured out how to do it.

There are some great suggestions about working in a dive shop and learning the business. These are actually pretty good. In the early 1980s I worked in a shop on the weekends because I thought I might like to start a similar business and I had a very supportive owner who took me on. After a while, I discovered it was not for me and that I preferred other avenues for getting underwater. Mine worked for me. I hope yours works out for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom