Want to open a dive shop.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with almost any career, you will have more choices, and a wider range of views, if you go to college first.

It has also been documented that, on average, those with college educations have better outcomes, both economically and socially. Of course, correlation is not causation, so there is room for argument.

- Bill

this has to rank as one of the most kind, thoughtful and brilliant posts on ScubaBoard. Thanks!

Running - much less starting - a small, retail business in today's economic climate would probably not be characterized as "an awesome, fun-ass life" by anyone currently doing it.

Suggest you focus on doing well in school and keeping all your options open to you as you get closer to entering the real world.

In the meantime, keep in mind that 15 yrs old is likely the most awesome, fun-ass time of your life. Enjoy it now, while you can!

:d

I would advise interning at a dive shop first...

I would add:

1. Work toward an instructor rating, which will also help getting a job at an LDS where you can learn the business.
  2. Learn to rebuild compressors
  3. Get certified to repair regulators
  4. Study salesmanship
  5. Study Web site programming
  6. Marry very well

My advice ...

1. Dive as often as you can ... 50 dives is just about enough to begin to suspect how much you don't know about diving. Get your instructor's certification, but do it in a way that helps you develop a reputation as a competent instructor.
2. See if you can get a job in a dive shop ... even if it's just doing menial work initially. Use it to learn as much as you can about the business, and to develop as many set of skills as you can related to dive shop operation ... things like regulator servicing, equipment repair, small engine/compressor servicing, operating a boat, and any number of other skills required for a successful dive operation. The more you know, the better your decisions will be when you reach a point where you can invest in owning your own business.
3. Develop some business skills outside of diving ... inventory management, book keeping, customer service, online sales, personnel management ... these are all skills that can make or break any small business.
4. Do some homework finding out why some dive shops succeed while others fail. There are many reasons ... most have to do with customer service, reputation, and developing a business plan that tracks with how customers like to shop. Develop your business plan accordingly.
5. Don't go into the business because you love to dive ... go into it because you love running a dive shop. Otherwise the diving will start to feel like work and before you know it you won't love to dive anymore.
6. Only invest as much into any business as you can afford to lose ... not that you plan to lose, but if you do it won't be an irrecoverable loss.

It's good to have dreams ... and at your age this is a good dream to have. But running a successful business is hard work. The hours can be long and the risks can be stressful ... and the rewards can be very much awesome-ass if you're successful. The difference between success and failure usually boils down to how much effort you've put into learning the business before you lay your money down and hang your name on the front door ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob (NEGratefulDiver) gave some good advice. I will be a little more generic.

It sounds like you are on a great path now. You don't know exactly where it will lead you, but there is no reason to obsess about that now. In a few years you might be totally overwhelmed with excitement about something you have never even heard of now. It may be involved with scuba; it may not be. Who cares? Follow your bliss on this!

Right now it seems like scuba is going to be a part of that dream, but what part? Perhaps you will own a dive shop. Perhaps you will be a marine biologist doing exciting dives. It has been estimated that Richard Pyle and his team identify 11 new species of fish for every hour of bottom time logged. I bet he would not trade that for owning any dive shop in the world, and that may be a direction you decide to head. On the other hand, you may find that instructing others is a passion for you, and you may end up leading a dive agency. Who knows? Just keep diving and see where it takes you!

Running the dive shop will see you 'running the dive shop' and not actually diving that much... unless you're prepared to work 16hr days. That's what I was doing in the Maldives for almost 2 years and the place still failed :(

Keep diving, keep diving, keep diving...

The best training you can do is to start with the most humblest of work in the industry- this is not a Rocky 'training montage' which is over in one 2 minute song... you may never have seen it (you should) but I don't know the equivalent 2013 version of the film. Anyway, start small, start humble and work your way up through the years... and you will finally become legen...........dary.

There is an old saying in the dive business. If you want to make a million dollars owning a dive shop, start with two million.
If you're still interested, check out this site;
http://www.sba.gov/thinking-about-starting

And I agree with you! I appreciate posts like these because they are not only true, but they tend to open my eyes up a bit. I'll admit when I have a goal I can become a bit blind of other things.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 11:38 PM ----------

I've heard that before actually haha. And thanks much I'll check it out!

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 11:44 PM ----------

That's actually really inspiring haha, I've gotta hand it to you it's very nice to read these kinda of posts. Thank you very much for that, diving is my passion and as you said, as of right now I feel as if whatever I may pursue in life, will involve just that, which is diving.

There is another option to making a living in diving which will give you a lot more time in the water than a dive shop owner or manager, and potentially make a lot more money. The diving conditions will be very different from what you have experienced this far, but can be pretty exciting stuff.

Check out the commercial diving forum: Commercial Divers

In particular, saturation diving: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/commercial-divers/467739-what-saturation-diving.html

... most commercial diving is more like underwater construction work ... it's not at all like a scuba diving experience, nor can it in any way be considered recreational. It's like comparing a leisurely sight-seeing drive to commercial trucking ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom