Warm water diving and gloves??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep a set of gloves in a BC pocket. Usually I wear them. If it's too warm for a wetsuit, I wear a skin. When I dive, I don't touch anything, bang against anything, or take anything, but there are things like jellyfish, sharp corners inside wrecks, and the "male" side of Velcro really hurts when your hand brushes across it. Unless I'm told specifically that gloves are prohibited, I wear them. And no, I've never felt that my gloves are uncomfortably hot, even diving in Cozumel, in 84F water.

I wear light weight gloves, no neoprene, down to 60 degrees F. If the DM won't let me wear them on the dive, I carry them in my pocket and don them on ascent - before approaching the line or ladder. :)

DandyDon:
I wear light weight gloves, no neoprene, down to 60 degrees F. If the DM won't let me wear them on the dive, I carry them in my pocket and don them on ascent - before approaching the line or ladder. :)

Ditto on that.

If I can wear them I do. If I can't I have them in a pocket and use them if needed on ascent or hanging on the lines in current. Got stung once by fire coral on a mooring line. I won't make that mistake again. I also carry a small clip now I can hang onto if needed. Just in case the DM says no no when I pull them out.

I used to have a thick pair of Titaniums and they were so bulky I hated wearing them. Now I have a flexible and light pair of reef gloves and they are great! I only wear them when I am in the ocean, I don't bother in a lake unless I need the thermal protection.

RumBum:
I used to have a thick pair of Titaniums and they were so bulky I hated wearing them. Now I have a flexible and light pair of reef gloves and they are great! I only wear them when I am in the ocean, I don't bother in a lake unless I need the thermal protection.
Yeah - but, I just hate calling them Reef gloves, even tho they are sold under that name. Kinda gives the impression one wears them to protect their hands when they touch a reef! :11: Big no-no.

I'd hate to wear my neoprene gloves in warm water - so bulky.

I always wear a pair of tropical gloves, unless otherwise forbidden. As previously stated, use of gloves is not allowed in some locations in an attempt to discourage touching.

String:
I always wear gloves regardless of the water temperature. Tropical conditions i wear 3mm.

Mainly for protection, ive been cut on ladders and so on before now.

For the same reason no matter what the temperature i always wear a full wetsuit as opposed to a shortie.

Same here. If it's illegal to wear gloves, I still bring them in my pocket for use during entries/exits. I accidentlaly found a fish hook hanging on an upline once and was very happy to have punctured a glove and not my hand.

Terry

I wear a thin glove in warm waters, it's a little thicker than a skin. Mostly protect my hands on any anchor line on a decent or accent. Some of those marked locations have a groth of the lines that cut up your hands. I also wear a full 3/2 suit to avoid any scrapes around wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom