Warm water diving and gloves??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you, Scubar. While diving in the Keys recently, I did wear "reef" gloves. (Actually, I wore the left one and my son wore the right one because one pair got lost.) This was mainly because the current was enough that at times, we wanted to grab the mooring line to follow it down or during the safety stop. On one dive that my son sat out (thank goodness!) the current was so strong, my buddy and I had to literally crawl along the bottom riding the surge in and grabbing rocks on the out to advance toward the boat. (we were there right after Rita.) Tried to be very careful what I secured on, but that dive was a workout.

String:
I always wear gloves regardless of the water temperature. Tropical conditions i wear 3mm.

Mainly for protection, ive been cut on ladders and so on before now.

For the same reason no matter what the temperature i always wear a full wetsuit as opposed to a shortie.

Unfortunately I was a cheapskate and bought a shortie, oh how I rue that decision.

Anyway to answer the topic question, no I don't wear a glove and I dive exclusively in warm water, at least so far.

To be honest though gloves would come in handy, i've had injuries to my hands due to rogue waves knocking me over on shore entries occasionally.

robbcayman:
Just curios but do any divers who dive in warm water i.e Carribbean etc.. use any type of dive glove. If so, do you wear a 3mm glove or something else?? Thanks

I wear a 2mm glove for protection purpose. Used to cut myself hold on the rope while decending to a wreck dive site.

But I only wear one on my left hand side.

DandyDon:
Well those are coldwater - 3 mil gloves.

Here is a pair of warm water gloves from Water World Sports

The way I figure it I'm wearing a 3 mil suit so 3 mil gloves shouldn't make me overheat. Plus, I have poor circulation in my hands and feet so gloves should help keep my hands warm and protected from jellies, sharp objects, fire coral (if I were to accidentally bump into it), etc..

robbcayman:
The way I figure it I'm wearing a 3 mil suit so 3 mil gloves shouldn't make me overheat. Plus, I have poor circulation in my hands and feet so gloves should help keep my hands warm and protected from jellies, sharp objects, fire coral (if I were to accidentally bump into it), etc..
Oh ok - different for different divers.

I may use a 7 mil suit in 62 degree water, but wear the light gloves. :wink:

Spoon:
i used to wear gloves when i started diving. dont need em now

hey spoon, where's the thread that dealt with the gloves on PG and the what divers? the K----- divers....

I always wear gloves, not for warmth but protection, lava is viciously cruel. Atlas cotton ones with rubber or latex (I dunno and can’t find the backup pair, they’re here somewhere) coating – standard garden gloves here from Ace Hardware ($4.00).

Back
Top Bottom