wet suit vs. dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dui.jpg

I know that sign and chuckle every time I pass it en route to Dutch Springs. :D

To the OP, I got a dry suit to extend my local dive season. Brought it at the end of the season so am anxious for the local dive season to open. I like diving wet when I'm in the tropics.

I dove wet well into November this year in the midwest. I don't mind it. Eventually, I will get a drysuit, but for now my 7mm works for me.

:confused:

Where are you shopping? Please share.

I'm speaking of total cost of ownership. I dive with a guy who bought his current dry suit in the mid 80s. It's been repaired more than a few times, and had plenty of seals changed. But it still works just fine.

Total cost of ownership is what something costs you over the lifetime of the item.
Yes, I understand that. What I don't understand is how you figure that an item that intially costs 5 times what another item costs, yet has a similar useful lifetime, has a lower "total cost of ownership". Your buddy's 25 year use of his drysuit notwithstanding (because that is certainly not typical.)

Yes, I understand that. What I don't understand is how you figure that an item that intially costs 5 times what another item costs, yet has a similar useful lifetime, has a lower "total cost of ownership". Your buddy's 25 year use of his drysuit notwithstanding (because that is certainly not typical.)

I've yet to meet a wet diver around here who is wearing 5 and 10 year old suits (to the extent that we talk about gear age, it's not a common discussion; and it's pretty rare to find wet suit divers around here outside of classes). But I've met plenty that are wearing their dry suits that long.

My dry suit has held up far better than the 3mm I wear in the summer for shallow dvies and vacation trips. The dry suit has easily 3 or 4x the dives on it. There's no way the 3mm would endure the use my dry suit has. I fully expect to have to replace it in a year or two. I have no expectation that I'll have to replace the dry suit for many more years.

In terms of cost per unit time underwater, the dry suit is clearly a better value -- not even takign the comfort factor into consideration.

OK, well I'm not a recreational diver, so maybe my experience is atypical, but I find that my wetsuits and drysuits last about the same length of time. I use my wetsuits for many more dives in a given year, but I find both need replacing after 2.5-3 years max.

Living here is Michigan, and diving the great lakes, I am just wondering if I should begin investigating using a dry suit. I'll be taking a class this winter, but, 1. is it really that much better, 2. is it harder to controll bouyancy and 3. will I still need a wet suit.

1. Yes in water below 55 degrees

2. No, in-fact it offers you redundant buoyancy in case of a primary failure.

3. If you travel to waters within the temperature envelope of your wet suit, yes.

I point this out because I'm use to cold water. I was in the Toronto area and dove with a Dry Suit. When I opened a commercial school, LDS and Charter operation in Vancouver, the water was just too warm on the west coast and I dove with a wet suit. Now I'm in Halifax and the water is often 30 degrees with high current; back to the dry suit.

It surprises me when I hear about divers diving in 75 degree water requiring a dry suit, but it largely depends upon how you deal (or can't deal) with cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom