Whalesharks - Philippines. Responsible Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh - saw it originally in these two PI and UK publications. The first was part of the PI Dep't of Tourism "More Fun in the Philippines" campaign. The second was a UK article about the local fishermen "about to be eaten by whalesharks" (riighhtt) and "living harmoniously with whalesharks" - which was really more their handfeeding them to attract local tourism.

And it was on the PI Dep't of Tourism "More Fun in the Philippines" FB pages.

Agree - these creatures are beautiful and they were great shots. But we should promote responsible interaction so others can enjoy the beauty of the Philippines and these beauties for generations to come.

http://www.spot.ph/gallery/1867/top-30-user-generated-quot-it-rsquo-s-more-f
un-in-the-philippines-quot-images/article/50181#pid=31860

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Fishermen feeding shrimp to giant whale sharks by HAND | Mail Online[/FONT]

I'm in Cebu right now and local dive shops are really pushing this trip to see the whale sharks. Hopefully divers will boycott it. The fishermen are feeding them!

This is negative eco unfriendly tourism at its worst! These Whale Sharks are being conditioned to respond to feeding patterns which are unnatural to them. They are filter feeders, Im boycotting this and Ahe Resort in Cenderawasih, West Papua where the same thing is happening.

Whale Sharks - Philippines - Responsible Diving??? :headscratch:

FYI
The whole "more fun in the philippines" concept is based on user creativity. Meaning, the 3 official ones from the Department of Tourism are the ones in their website. All the rest are made by normal citizens all over the internet and are based on what they feel are "more fun".

It's a viral campaign and I don't think the DoT can control what the people would use it for. I've seen most, and everyday there's a new set to see on the internet. Grab a picture, put a caption. Repeat.

Last edited:
Many thanks everyone for the support and updates!

Hi Gee13 - I think I got so upset, it wasn't the best caption. Meant more responsible INTERACTION and support by DIVERS, but wanted to hit the appropriate audience.

Hi Dimac - agree, but the DOT influences local policy and that's what I'm after - change on the ground up by educating locals on responsible interaction, implementing rules like Donsol has and enforcing any regulations / rules - win win because the locals still have proper sustainable tourism. These photos were released in the Philippines campaign and other publications abroad, like the UK article we posted - just don't want the Philippines to get bad press abroad and other photos like this to be taken and released. The Philippines and whalesharks are such unique and special things - people should be able to enjoy them properly for generations to come.

Back
Top Bottom