What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Worst purchase, , , SP Jets

That little "tunicate" looking octo-holder that clips onto my BC.

I regret a few things I bought when I first started. That said, what I DON'T regret is buying all of my equipment pretty fast (after about 12 dives, including OW). If I hadn't, I think I would have gone the way of many new divers and not kept up with it because renting adds up pretty fast, and the longer you rent, the less likely you are to be able to afford gear (if you are diving 4 times a week like I wanted to, and if you are young and poor). Even though I know that there are better items out there and I wish I had gotten them first--my gear is perfectly adequate and I'm more happy that I was able to get the large blowing of cash out of the way before I wisened up and decided to do tennis instead.

I'd advise new divers to buy gear fast, not wait! That way you can't quit because you've just spent so much money :)

Also, I think I'm the only diver in existence who actually likes snorkels! Sure I could give it up without caring, but I haven't found it to be in my way when I'm uw, and I like it at the surface, even when I'm on my back.

GA Under Water:
Worst purchase, , , SP Jets

Really?

I am not going to argue. I just never hear anyone say this.

Not sure why there's so much hating on the Air II. Serves me just fine and eliminates a hose. In the one OOA condition in which I was involved, I took the Air II and gave my primary to my partner. Of course it didn't breathe nearly as well as my primary but who cares? We were in an OOA condition.

I also like my Oceanic Pro Plus console computer. Air integrated, Nitrox. Again, it eliminates a hose and I keep it clipped on the left side of my BC. I know exactly where it is at all times and have never had it caught on anything.

-Charles

I don't have anything that I "hate" yet, but I'm still very new to all of the gear. I may wish I went right to a BP/W, but the Blackdiamond is a pretty capable BC with plenty of lift and "doubles capable". I am very happy I went with a drysuit for PNW diving instead of messing with wet diving up here.

I am most happy with finding amazing deals on used cylinders though, $500 into buying them and I have 5 HP-100s and 1 HP-80 cylinder. I paid for hydro, vip, o2 clean for 2 and will be putting the others through o2 and vip today. Oh, and getting a barely used DS4/ATX50 reg setup for a good price was nice too.

I hope to learn from all of your mistakes, I read about 25 of the previous pages. So far the only one I hit is the BCD and the Air2, but I am happy thus far with both. The air2 will work nicely with having a pony along for the ride too, more redundancy with less complexity. It seems the key is to actively make the decision for each purchase instead of having it sold to you :wink:

wow, i like my snorkel. granted, i use it more for snorkling than diving, but still, its ok.

things i regret include:
* a womping big dive knife. i blame sea hunt for that. totally useless.
* clear silicon skirted mask. had a black one that broke, and the best fitting one that day to replace it was clear. didnt want it then, but chose the best fitting available. its also way too high volume, and feels like an aquarium on my face. works well though, even if i would prefer some relief from stray light.
* chute II bc. actually im pretty happy with it overall, but should have gotten a bp/w. still it does the job well enough for now, so it gets used until it fails, or someone close to me wants it. love and hate, just like the mask.
* big cheap dive bag with wheels (good) but no extended pull handle (very bad).
* slimline octo. should have gone with a the omega II that was available for half price while buying my reg.

things i like (mind you i have bad taste in stuff):
* my chute II bc. yeah, its one of the things i dont like as well, but it really works pretty well, and has held up to lots of shore dives. integrated weighs work well, and its really comfortable. it a'ight.
* oceanic delta II reg. no petigree but it works well, breathes easy, and has been very reliable. it failed once due to a bad design that was already recalled, and fixed on the spot so i didnt even miss a dive. yeah, no recall would have been better, but it was services in an hour, and is reliable. good 'nuff.
* wet mesh dive bag with shoulder straps like a backpack. awsome. purple (non others like it on most boats). need to get a good dry bag to go with it, now that my crizzapy bookbag has failed.
* data max II computer. simple, nitrox compatable. reliable. better than the padi wheel.

Well, this is not specifically scuba gear, but I regret buying a 4 wheel cart/wagon from Home Depot several years ago.

Originally, I bought it to put tanks, weights, misc gear in it and my buddy and I were going to haul it down the ramp at Treasure Island (south Laguna) on a regular basis. For those unfamiliar with the area, it is very rarely dove because it is a hike to get down to the beach. However, with a cart and several tanks, it makes it worth the effort.

Problem is my buddy stopped diving and no one else seems to want to work that hard, no matter how pristine the diving is. So now it holds my tanks in the garage...its tires are flat.:11doh:

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom