What do I look for when buying used equipment? Condition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@dam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys. I'm an occasional diver...a few trips a year and about 40 total dives under my belt. I thought it might be nice to have my own dive computer or, perhaps if I found a great deal, my own equipment. I was looking on my local Craigslist and found a great deal, and was wondering what I should look for as far as condition, or what kind of inspection and repair it might need.

It hasn't been used since 2007 and looks like it's in great shape- little wear and tear. It includes...

*Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo and regs
*Scuba Pro BCD with a backup regulator integrated into the inflator. It's a medium...a tiny bit snug in the waist, but otherwise very comfortable. The weights have a pinch connector
*Console on a retractor with compass and Uwatec Aladin One computer with USB dongle (There are NO external controls, so that's the only way to review data or make adjustments...not so happy about that)
*Misc weights

I already have a surf wetsuit and mask- I'd just need fins.

So, as someone who has never had his own gear, what do I look for and what sort of maintenance is required?

All this for only $250! I can't buy a computer for that!

Reg= service. Ask your LDS if they can service this model.

BCD inflate and leave it for a couple of hours to see if it deflates... or use soapy water around the seams for a quick look.

Figure on spending that much on servicing the octo/regs and BCD. Then, it might be ok.

I bought my reg and BC 2nd hand as well... ScubaPro MK2/R295 plus the oldie Dacor Talon BCD.:) Still using them after 2 years. Just make sure you can find a shop who can service them for you and it should be OK. Even my Jet Fins are 2nd hand! all I needed was to get the spring straps and until now I'm thankful I did not have to spend that much for my first set of gear... Although eventually I think I'm going to end up looking for new ones especially now that I dive more frequently. LOL

*Scuba Pro BCD with a backup regulator integrated into the inflator. It's a medium...a tiny bit snug in the waist, but otherwise very comfortable. The weights have a pinch connector

So, as someone who has never had his own gear, what do I look for and what sort of maintenance is required?

Reg= service. Ask your LDS if they can service this model.

BCD inflate and leave it for a couple of hours to see if it deflates... or use soapy water around the seams for a quick look.

It sound like he has an Air 2 on the BCD, He'll need to get that service as well.

Sell the Alpha 8 regulator and buy a balance 1st and 2nd stage regulator you will be much better off in the long run with a better regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom