What do you do with scallops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff:
Marinade them in citrus juice (I prefer lime but lemon and orange work well, too) - the acid will "cook" the scallops without heat. Keeps the flavor but takes care of that "stuck in your throat" texture thingy. If you like, they can be dunked in a sauce, I'm fond of a warm tarragon and sherry reduction with just a smidge of butter in it. It's an interesting juxtaposition of temperatures and flavors and refreshing as can be.

This is basically ceviche. Be careful with orange juice - if it is not acidic enough, it will not "cook" the scallops very well. Another recipe with a bit more flavor is:

1 lb Scallops
1 cup Lime Juice, to cover
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded, julienned
2 Green Chilis, sweet, seeded, julienned
1/2 bn Coriander, stemmed, coarsely chopped
1 large Tomato, cored, chopped
2 Jalapeno Chilies, with seeds, finely chopped
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Directions:
If large, slice the scallops in half, cutting them in a way that preserves the shape and gives a uniform size. Place the scallops in a bowl, add lime juice and marinate for 1 hour. After an hour, add the garlic, red bell pepper and sweet green chili. Mix thoroughly. Add coriander, tomato, and Jalapeno chilies. Add olive oil and mix well. Serve immediately. Do not keep more than 2 or 3 hours. Servings: 4.

If you need to keep more than a few hours, like for an appetizer at a party, you can use 1/2 C Lime juice, 1/2 C white wine - bring to a boil. Add scallops and cool for 5 mins, then proceed as above. Chill once you add everything.

Dee:
Last time I had scallops it was with you, Doug, David, Nina and Jester on Valentine's Day!
They were yummy! (We had them Japanese style)

I do exactly what Drewpy said to do in this thread..only I add lemon pepper a few minutes before I take them off the grill or after searing them.

I LOVE scallops too!

The Ceviche recipe is A+.
Another sneaky sautee' is to toss a little butter in a pan along with some Creole seasoning, heat till well browned.
Toss in some minced garlic & within a couple seconds (as not to scorch the garlic) throw in the scallops.
A quick roll around & they have a nice brownish color without being overcooked.
Drop in a bowl with a few drops of lime juice for a finisher.
They're great on a hot dog bun this way. :wink:

Bob3:
The Ceviche recipe is A+.
Another sneaky sautee' is to toss a little butter in a pan along with some Creole seasoning, heat till well browned.
Toss in some minced garlic & within a couple seconds (as not to scorch the garlic) throw in the scallops.
A quick roll around & they have a nice brownish color without being overcooked.
Drop in a bowl with a few drops of lime juice for a finisher.
They're great on a hot dog bun this way. :wink:
You got it Bob! But better in a hollowed out Po'Boy roll, which is kinda like a light & airy french roll - but in truth, any bread will do to catch what come off the scallops. Yum!

I think they key for scallops is this:

Cook as *short* as possible. The more you cook them, the faster they become rubber!

Around here I feed the scallop gills~n~guts to the cat. IF the cat is alive in a half hour then we saute the scallops in butter and garlic.

Thanks everyone! I like ReefRaff's ceviche, sounds good. So there's no heat involved, the lime juice cooks them? I can do that. Pancho, I've already got a few of your recipes...MMMmmm!

Natasha, remember that ginger stuff Beast and I got with the sushi? What was it called? Candied...spiced...pickled ginger? I love that stuff and would like to find some.

hmmmm... sushi......

How's this..since the ginger wasn't on there I called.. it was pickled and it was Good!

Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar

Address/Contact Info
Windvale Shopping Center
9420 College Park Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77384

Description
Hours
11 a.m. – 2 p.m. for lunch
5 – 10:30 p.m. for dinner.

Authentic Japanese cuisine is prepared exhibition-style. The menu features steak; an assortment of seafood including shrimp, scallops, lobster, jumbo lobster, deep-sea fish sticks, and squid; chicken and vegetables; fried rice and noodles.

A complete array of sushi delicacies prepared by three sushi chefs, including Gee Yung from Seattle, and Ryoto from Dallas.

Mixed drinks, Japanese beer, sake, and Japanese plum wine are available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom