What do you do with scallops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
Natasha, remember that ginger stuff Beast and I got with the sushi? What was it called? Candied...spiced...pickled ginger? I love that stuff and would like to find some.
Technically, it's called "gari", but it is, in fact, pickled, sliced ginger. Order it at http://www.gingerpeople.com/bulk_fresh.html

While just using fruit juice will "cook" the scallops, generally you will want to do a bit more, or whatever you used as the acid will overwhelm the taste of the scallops.

BTW - in the recipe I posted "coriander" is what alot of you folks will call cilantro. At least when it is called to be stemmed and chopped.

Natasha, Dee - sorry, I didn't know Dee was asking a direct question regarding the ginger. Sometimes its tough to tell who lives where, knows who, etc, unless you've been here for awhile.

If you want some for home, you can get it at most asian specialty markets too... if you have them in your area.

**THREAD HIJACK**

A long time ago in New Orleans ('bout when I could start enjoying the city), I helped a bartended who had a secret for Bloody Mary's. They always put pickled green beans in their BMs, plus a splash of the pickle bean juice from the jar. This gave it a wonderful flavor. Here in the Rockies, I couldn't find pickled GB, but ran across a mail-order place that has some great pickled veggies. Good for all sorts of garnishes or antipasto trays. I only know them as a customer (no advertising here)...

http://www.brunopeppers.com

The reason I bring it up is because (a) like gari, it is something I order on the web, and (b) if you live near each other, you can split a mixed case and it is reasonable given shipping.

Bon Apetit!

Ditto on raw.
Following a dive in which I've bagged scallops, I put them in a zip lock baggie with some squeezed lime and tabasco sauce. Marinate them for a very short time... presto...a great surface interval snack.
I use them in my cerviche also!
Getting hungry at the thought.

gj62:
Natasha, Dee - sorry, I didn't know Dee was asking a direct question regarding the ginger. Sometimes its tough to tell who lives where, knows who, etc, unless you've been here for awhile.

If you want some for home, you can get it at most asian specialty markets too... if you have them in your area.

**THREAD HIJACK**

A long time ago in New Orleans ('bout when I could start enjoying the city), I helped a bartended who had a secret for Bloody Mary's. They always put pickled green beans in their BMs, plus a splash of the pickle bean juice from the jar. This gave it a wonderful flavor. Here in the Rockies, I couldn't find pickled GB, but ran across a mail-order place that has some great pickled veggies. Good for all sorts of garnishes or antipasto trays. I only know them as a customer (no advertising here)...

http://www.brunopeppers.com

The reason I bring it up is because (a) like gari, it is something I order on the web, and (b) if you live near each other, you can split a mixed case and it is reasonable given shipping.

Bon Apetit!

Hey! No Problem! Awesome web link. Thanks for sharing it. Good stuff!

gj62...thanks for the info. I can't do cilantro/coriander, it's just too hot for me. I know alot of you will disagree but your food should not hurt! :wink:

That's a great website. I agree, it IS hard to tell who knows who! But Natasha and I don't live that far apart and we see each other often.

Dee:
gj62...thanks for the info. I can't do cilantro/coriander, it's just too hot for me. I know alot of you will disagree but your food should not hurt! :wink:

That's a great website. I agree, it IS hard to tell who knows who! But Natasha and I don't live that far apart and we see each other often.

And we both LOVE to eat! :wink:

Dee:
gj62... I can't do cilantro/coriander, it's just too hot for me....
Hey, if your cilantro is HOT, somebody's been messing with ya.
HOT is what the peppers/chilis are for.
We've got several full size Asian grocers out here, they're one of my favorite places to shop.
If ya need any pickled ginger (or other goodies) shipped out to ya, give a yell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom