What do you do with scallops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy:
It was the texture, I expected them to be a bit more "meaty" to be honest. As for the yellow/orange bit dont even go there !

I'm sticking to my philosophy of "if it don't have legs don't eat it" from now on :)

Sorry if I'm a heathen, but at least I tried em.

Hoppy, I don't understand...you sure they were scallops? :wink: The texture is like tender fish, sometimes just a bit gritty if they are very fresh and not purged. The 'yellow/orange' bit should never make it to the skillet. In fact, the only time I see that part is if I watch them shuck the fresh one at the market. But since most of ours are imported, that's rare.

But hey! I don't like oysters and some folks think I'm nuts!

Raven...the kabobs and cakes sound great but the alfredo would go straight to my hips! I'll leave that for you skinny chicks!

Well I bet you saw it coming...sooner or later someone would enter an Atkins recipe:
Scallop Soup with Cilantro Cream

2Tbs Butter, divided
1/2lb medium size sea scallops
3/4tsp slat divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 rib chelery, chopped
1Tbs Tomato paste
1 (8oz) bottle clam juice plus !/2c water
1/8tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1c heavy cream, divived
1/2c chopped fresh cilantro
1tsp grated lemon rind.

1) Melt 1tsp of the butter in a medium sauchepan over medium-high heat. Add the scallops, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Cook scallops 2-3 minutes, until lightly golden remove from saucepan.

2) Melt remaining Tbs of butter. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste: cook 1 minute. Add clam juice, water and cayenne (if using). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes to heat through.

3) Add 1/2c heavy cream and half the scallops to the saucepan. Cook 2 minutes. Pure'e soup in batches in a blender. Return to saucepan.

4) Pure'e cilantro, lemon rind and the remaining 1/2c of heavy cream and 1/4tsp salt in a blender until smooth and creamy.

5)Divide soup among bowl. Top each with one-quarter of thecilantr4o cream and one quarter of the remaining scallops.

Per serving 5g net carbs

Dee, just go for a bike ride after dinner. Hahahaha

Hoppy, I have there brand new bottles of "Original Ranch" dressing in my pantry. Send me an address and I'll hook you up. Or I can send the envelope seasoning and you can make it yourself. That would probably be easiest. :D R

My scallops generally meet one of two fates... either they're eaten raw shortly after shucking, or if they make it home they're wrapped in bacon and grilled. Raw is delicious, but the bacon wrap is divine!

As an alternative, pitted dates stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon are also wonderful, and a nice choice for those who don't like, or claim an allergy to, seafood.

Mmmmm....bacon wrapped and grilled is easy. You just filled in the supper menu...thanks!

OK I just made scallops tonight. Jesse said the dinner was 'good'.. so it might be worth typing. David wasn't home so no comment from him.

I took 6 fat plump scallops and put them in a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil.

I let them sear..or get that brown coating on them. Then I dumbed a bag full of frozen chinese veggies in the pan. The pan went wild!

In a seperate pot I boiled some wide rice noodles.
Drained them, and dumped them in the skillet.
Still with me?

I then took this really good sesame ginger stuff you buy in the bottle and poured some in. Not a ton..but enough to coat everything.
That's it!
It passed the Jesse test (my 16 year old) but then Jesse will almost anything!

My 10 year old likes them grilled with a southwest flavor. I put some olive oil in a bowl, add some lemon or lime, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Coat the scallops, skewer them and grill on each side for 2 minutes or so. Yum! Quick, easy, and heathy!

colinw:
My 10 year old likes them grilled with a southwest flavor. I put some olive oil in a bowl, add some lemon or lime, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Coat the scallops, skewer them and grill on each side for 2 minutes or so. Yum! Quick, easy, and heathy!

Wow! Now that is easy and sounds good. I can't beleive how much we can do with these little critters!
Love it Thx.
Good thread Dee!

Back
Top Bottom