What is a "logged dive"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been going through my dive log and found a few dives where the depth could be 15-20 ft for 3 min is this logable? Or maybe 5-10ft for 6 min and so on. Should I disregard these dives?

Here's a slightly different way to view the criteria for logged dives.

You can put what you want in your logbook; however, do not confuse log entries with number of logged dives. Let me explain.

The scenario is this: You are looking for an instructor to help you earn your next certification. There are two possible candidates, but in the selection process you discover that one of them has a logbook full of dives to 5-10 feet for six minutes or so... would this make a difference to your final decision?

For the purpose of continuing education. Padi considers loggable dives as 20 feet for 20 minutes or consuming 1000 lbs of air which ever comes first. As for general logging any thing you want is a logged dive

PADI = During open water dives, have divers spend the majority
of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least
1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain
submerged for at least 20 minutes.

My computer shows me with about 30 dives. My log book shows me with 16, I think. I don't log pool dives and I don't log bounces as separate dives but my computer does (depending upon time at surface). If you feel you learned something from a dive, regardless of depth or time down, log it. If you saw something interesting, log it. If you just want to remember something about a dive, log it.

If you're just trying to count up dives for some cert or another, don't bother. Just dive more so that there's no question you've surpassed the minimum requirements. Collecting cards doesn't really (im)prove anything, diving does.

I said it on another thread on this topic... YOUR log book being YOUR log, record whatever you want. If your are padding your log just to make the minimum requirement for something, perhaps you should wait.

I also firmly believe that bottom time is also a key indicator for general experience. If a diver has numerous dives but a low bottom time count, perhaps the diver needs some additional time as opposed to the diver with a lower dive count but a substantial bottom time count.

Have I logged a dive that was less than an arbitrary suggested minimum time to "count" as a dive? Absolutely! But I had a reason to put it in my log. For example, an equipment failure and what actions were taken, or just recording that the bottom current was ripping along so badly that we had to hide on the lee side of the coral formation so we would get swept to Cuba.

Here is another twist. I just started logging dives as a by-product of importing from my computers, one of which is a freediving computer. I decided to import them into separate databases because I analyze the graphs in different ways.

Now consider two rookie divers with 50 dives each on Scuba, but one had 2000 freedives. I would think that would be very useful information to someone trying to get a sense of a diver’s skills.

The Warhammer Maneuvere - now that's a logged dive

I just googled that. I even found the picture. That was nasty man! But, funny as hell.

For the purpose of continuing education. Padi considers loggable dives as 20 feet for 20 minutes or consuming 1000 lbs of air which ever comes first. As for general logging any thing you want is a logged dive

IIRC, BSAC is 6M at 20 mins, 90% of my logged dives are between 45 to 90 minutes, the luxury of diving in warmer waters, my UK dives are between 20 and 40 minutes.

Thx everyone I was really trying to only log important dives and up load them on my laptop. I saw a few dives when we were doing a traing class under the time I stated and wanted an opinion on logging them or not. I personally do not think that should be a logged dive so they are getting removed.

Just keep in mind that although a log book is just for your use, if you become a divemater or an instructor, it will be looked at, because there are Logged dive number minimums for such things. 60 for finishing divemaster, 100 for becoming an instructor.

(like I mentioed they never minded that I did long shallow dives, but they did not count the dives under 20 minutes).

PADI requires the dive to be 15ft or deeper for a minimum of 20 min. to be counted as a dive. Of course this only matters if your working for master scuba diver or going pro. Im working my way up to divemaster but I log just about everything. I've had dive were I was only at 10 ft., but I was under for and hour, so I log it.

Back
Top Bottom