What is the best DEFOGGER you have used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in all honesty, almost anything would work. I wouldn't be surprised if pee works as well. but I tend to stick with the thicker stuff, like the car wax looking stuff, because it sticks on multi dive days. that's important for surfice intervals when all I want to do is get back in the water, I tend to forget to rinse my mask.

During CW sessions... we do a bunch of demos on Mast flooding/removal etc... Spit lasts only if you keep your mask on without flooding during the whole dive...

I have noticed that Johnson's lasts longer...

About that $2.99 commercial stuff... IMO, I can imagine it to be "filled in china"... they have huge buckets and millions of people spit into them and then they Package them and ship them to us divers...

:eek:ut:

ROFL

Spit is really lousy if you've just had a meal... you know, the food particles get stuck on the mask...

Also I find that if you are doing repetetive dives, spit is scares on the second dive...

I know some of the ladies dont enjoy spitting...:)

I am a lady, and I say spit all the way! I've tried the stuff from the LDS's and they work fine but spit is great and doesn't cost a thing. I tried toothpaste when I first bought my mask, and didn't rince it out good enough... to make a long story short, it got in my eyes, burned like crazy and I had to get out of the water! So, to avoid any problems like that again, I just use spit.:wink:

I vote for Sea Drops.

My LDS also threw in a bottle for free when I bought some stuff one day, and I like it a lot. It doesn't "suds up" a lot like baby shampoo. I put it on a little before the dive, let it dry, and then rinse it out just before I go in and find that works best.

i use toothpaste only if it is a new mask. a light abrasive to get that flim off of the mask. otherwise i use sea drops,it works fine for me.:thumb:

Windex.
A dive boat I go out on keeps a bottle of the blue stuff hanging by the rinse bucket. Don't know what it does to the silicone, and can't swear that they don't dilute it. But, it works great. Otherwise, 500PSI and/or spit.

spit.

However, the problem isn't the mask on your face, spit works great or any of the products mentioned, the problem is the backup mask. It will typically fog when you put it on, no matter what you treat it with.

Kelp works on the regular mask, but once I tried putting some on my backup mask before putting it on under water, and it didn't do anything.

I guess we'll have to continue just keeping a little water in the mask and swishing it around on occasion.

BTW, I nearly always use spit, but I've been on boats once or twice where I thought that trying to spit in my mask might make for a very messy situation...i.e. filling the mask with the contents of my stomach. For those situations, it's always nice to have someone nearby who bothers to pay for the commercial stuff :wink:

Back
Top Bottom