What is the future of Scuba Diving and the technology we use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the business side, my guess is that "mom & pop" dive shops will gradually disappear over the next decade or so, with consolidations into regional dive centers competing with corporate sports "supercenters" like Sports Chalet.:(

No huge changes I don't think. Drysuit will work better. Cannister lights will no longer be necessary. CCR will be more dependable and smaller but still not mainstream as it's simply not needed in most cases.

I'm sure the bell and whistles will continue but they won't be any more necessary or useful than they are now.

Most technical diving will be done on CCR.

But, in general people will dive as they do now and as they have done with only incremental change since the beginning of recreational scuba.

I do like the night vision mask idea someone brought up but it would offer no real benefit to me over a regular mask and a small light.

I anticipate that current OC/SCR/CCR's will be replaced by the external gill backpack. Then mixed gas rebreathers will be considered vintage.

Aerogel insulation for dry suits because it doesn't compress, so buoyancy can be more stable.
Dry suit shells will be have vastly increased mobility and comfort.
Diving systems will be mixed gas rebreathers with total automation, integrated buoyancy control, communication, and navigation with head up displays.
There may even be mechanical gills which extract breathing gas from the water, solar powered, of course.
Lights will be more powerful, adjustable (color, beam, intensity), durable, smaller and with smaller batteries.

Cameras and photo processing technology has pretty much advanced as far as it will go, and won't change much over the next twenty years.

In my view, anything which makes scuba diving substantially more expensive will not be adopted by the average diver, being most of us. Those more inclined to spend money on the next popular piece of equipment, gear heads and those who just have to have the latest thing to impress other divers, will opt for these opportunities. There are some very useful and time-savings things, like the dive computer, which will appeal to most divers and will be bought and used regardless of the cost. Other than that, I doubt that scuba diving will change substantially in the next ten or twenty years.

...agreed, overall, if you look at a diving book or video tape from say, 1975-1980 ish, there is hardly any difference between the gear back then and today...any changes have been gradual/evolutionary at best...little that I'd call break through ideas/technology.

Many people see technological progress as a linear process of continuous improvement. The older I get, the more I see technological development as a process of trade-offs, one step forwards and two steps backwards. One priority matters more than another at one time, then those priorities are reversed; for example, plastic fins were considered inferior to natural rubber ones before the 1970s, then diving equipment companies, having thrown in their lot with the oil companies, claimed that plastics were now the future. We're left confused, not knowing what or who to believe.

Technology shouldn't be left to the technologists and the people who provide us with diving equipment shouldn't forget that good design is just as important as good technology. Diving gear is the product of art as well as science. There's no reason in the world why divers, or snorkellers, should all wear the same kinds of fins, masks or any other item of gear. We don't all wear the same street clothes, we adjust what we wear to our own circumstances, our age, our financial situation, so why should, say, older divers wear the same wet or drysuits as those from a younger generation? What we need is choice, the ability to select from modern and earlier technologies what best matches ourselves as individuals. There should be a wide range of diving technologies available for everybody. Just because something's new doesn't mean it's necessarily better for everybody. I will defend to the death anybody's right to wear a drysuit with multicoloured panels reminiscent of a harlequin or a clown, but I will only wear such an outfit over my own dead body. Each to his or her own.

More than anything else, I'd like to see greater freedom to choose what I want to snorkel or dive with, and I am totally opposed to any pressure from peers or experts to tell me what is best for me. I'd also like the freedom to purchase what I want when I see it on the Web anywhere in the world. There are so many interesting diving gear prototypes illustrated on the Web but I can't buy them singly, only in units of several hundred, and emails to the companies remain unanswered. The major international companies simply don't provide a full enough range of technology to satisfy every diver or snorkeller, because they're in business to make money first and discerning customers, particularly those who prefer 1960s designs made from natural materials to new millennium products made from synthetics, probably don't push company profits upwards much.

I'd also like to see more, unbiassed information about diving equipment. It's ludicrous nowadays that the only information we often have about, say fins, is the range of foot lengths which the fin's foot pocket is likely to accommodate. What about foot width, let alone arch height? There's a German Standard for marking fins with foot length and width, but very few companies use it. Then, keeping to fins, what about blade flexibility? There's a measurement of material softness and hardness, the shore, but where can I find a retailer who puts this into the description? Instead we have many SB messages from people asking which fins are narrow or broad fitting and which have stiff or flexible blades. Why don't the companies give us this information themselves? Maybe it's covered by commercial confidentiality, or maybe they think customers aren't interested...

The potential of divers ballast and the first class lever to maximise the size of fin the average person could use, is relitively unexplored. As is Gel based protective clothing and sea water battery technology. I suppose if someone made s break through in sea water battery technolgy it might also indirectly resolve other diver issues such as; suit heating, propulsion, breathing, lighting, information, communication and navigation

Last edited:
Lighter, faster, easier...less expensive equipment. More comfort, duration and configuration options...stay posted for new exciting developments in diving during this new decade.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom