What is the purpose of a Tri-Pony setup in a shroud?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That belongs in the museum of modern art.

"If the cylinders are original be aware they are AL 6351 (see the sticky thread at the top of this forum)"

CTC/DOT-3AL3000-S30 and below that: UU03035LUXFER9A87 and they all have their own serial number sticker stuck above the stamped in info. Other than not being touched since the factory slapped the yellow and white US Divers vis stickers on in 1987 nobody said anything about 'bad metal' and I forgot to ask. Thank you, I'll look it up! I remembered you saying and then forgot. My bad. I was having too much fun watching everyone come to look at it. Haha.

This is hard. My tanks (3) all say CTC/DOT-3AL3000-S30 and below that: UU03035LUXFER9A87 - there is also a sticker I thought was a serial number but its just *UU0003035* with a barcode for scanning I guess.

I found this from GPO access:

marked with ``DOT 3AL'' above or near one of the following exemption or
special permit numbers: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, and 8422. In addition,
unless determined otherwise, affected individuals should assume that a
DOT 3AL or DOT-E 7235 cylinder manufactured outside the United States
is constructed of aluminum alloy 6351-T6.

How do I find that information out, is it in the stamped info someplace? Or is it just to be assumed because they were manufactured prior to 4/88 ?

Last edited:
If it has the original tanks then they are Luxfer made prior to 7/88 so they are made of the 6351 alloy. These tanks must pass an eddy test every time they have a VIP. I had a set like that I used without the cover to further reduce the profile so it could be used as a bailout when diving surface supplied in very confined spaces. I sold the manifold but still use the tanks, one by itself and the other two on a double manifold.

IMG_0535.jpgIMG_0534.jpgIMG_0533.jpgIMG_0532.jpgIMG_1706.jpgIMG_1707.jpgIMG_1952.jpgIMG_1953.jpgIMG_1504.jpg

Well, The bad news is its actually never been in the water! haha. It still has all of the original stickers from US Divers Co and the BC is still stiff from the factory. Not sure what I'll do with it right now. I should probably make someone else test it for me first ... I have an all original AquaLung DW Mistral and the most hideously sharp brass dive knife they can test for me at the same time! If I didn't know better I'd suspect the old people around here don't want me to come back up. :p

Assuming they pass hydro and vis (most likely) there is no reason not to dive them....like I said earlier the cost is going to be high with little gain except the cool factor.

The Mistral is a totally different matter. I can pretty much guarentee it is badly in need of service. Several of the rubber parts inside are for sure in bad shape (unless someone has recently had it serviced which is unlikely). Reguardless of what anyone may tell you, it can easily be resorted. Parts are available although there is only one comercial service center that I am aware of, most of us service our own. The Mistral is a very rugged old reg, within the vintage community it's refered to as the AK-47 of regs. If you are interested in getting it serviced and diving it you need to spend some time learing about the old regs and how to dive them. They are different from modern regs. Then find someone who is actively diving the old regs to learn how to dive them, someone who "use to dive them back in the day" is not good enough, you need someone who is currently diving them and really understands how to dive a DH reg (DH= double hose). They are different from modern regs but a lot of fun to dive with a lot of cool factor to boot.

I had the US Divers triple with the fairing..back in the early 80's. Cool factor is why I wanted this....the actual use of it was less desirable...it was more of a pain to carry around than a steel 72 or an al 80( when they became popular). Also, the streamlining concept, while it appeared good, was really inferior to the 72 with just the plastic backplate harness used in the period--no self respecting good diver used a BC back then...the tripple had harness straps, and no bc....you used a lycra type suit, and weights on a belt if needed to get a pound or 3 heavy at dive beginning. Trim was not an awareness issue in those days ( 70's to 80's) , and being strong enough to dive the gear WAS the way of things.

I believe it was a 105 cu ft system the way shops would fill it for me back then, but the extra weight was a bitch...on private boats, handing a 72 up before getting out of the water on the tiny ladders was easy..with the triple, it was a herculean task.

If it has the original tanks then they are Luxfer made prior to 7/88 so they are made of the 6351 alloy. These tanks must pass an eddy test every time they have a VIP.

Picking nits here:

The only time AL6351 cylinders are "required" to pass a visual eddy inspection is that the time of hydro requal. That standard is a DOT CFR and thus "required" by law for commercial/commerce usage. Cylinders that pass a visual eddy will be mark "VE" next to the hydro date.

For the cylinders to pass a yearly scuba industry standard VIP they should also pass a visual eddy inspection. Such tests, while a good idea, are not required by law (though needed for a fill by dive shop).

SlyNewGirl BITA was a typo I meant BITD (back in the day).

Three full tanks - complete with a passed Hydro and vis stickers on the bottoms. Yay! Now I'm just waiting for my back plate which is being made to fit my bc instead of the US Divers one that is huge. :p I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom