• bc air mask

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • bc mask air

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • grab buddy or DM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll:
1) Get a secure grip on your dive knife and remove risk to gas supply (i.e. stab the sumbe-atch who shut your air off).

Hahah I LOL'd.

jeckyll:
In reality, most people will have a tough time dealing with successive failures. I'd have a hard time imagining what real life situation would cause this.

In todays world, if the gas is off, the BC won't inflate, so don't worry about it (unless you're using argon of course, different issue then).

So the correct order is:

1) Get a secure grip on your dive knife and remove risk to gas supply (i.e. stab the sumbe-atch who shut your air off).
2) Turn gas back on.
3) Reach into drysuit pocket and retrieve backup mask and calmly put on & clear mask.
4) If team of 3, find surviving buddy (i.e. the one who's smart enough not to mess with your gas), retrieve dead buddy and proceed to the surface to split the doofus' gear.

Any questions? :)

None.
Since depth wasn't one of the variables:
If on the surface, #1
Below 3ft., #1 (EDIT) I actually meant 3ft. or less
Deeper yet, BC, #1, #2, Who needs a mask?, #4

:D

Tigerman:
Well, embolisms is not the only problem with out of control ascents, especially if you do deep and/or long dives..
As to inflator failures, Ive seen it happened and my buddy started to ascend at over 3x the reccommended rate, from over 100 feet.. Rather than joining her and risking 2 accidents I had to make the decision to make sure that when I get up, Im capable of helping if she need it. I found her hanging on to the line from the wreck to the surface at 12-15'. It went fast from "whats going on" to "uh, oh, express elevator". More info is/was in the accidents and incidents forum..

I'll have to look for it, what were you doing at 100 feet with less than 25 dives?

I've had 2 inflator failures on wings, but have been lucky / been able to control things.

And on recreational length dives, the DCS risk vs what happens if you have an embolism ... well, I know which one I would choose.

frank_delargy:
In another post someone wrote that training used to include the following drill..

1. Shut someones air off.
2. Pull off their mask.
3. Inflate their vest (old days, this was a CO2 cartridge, so it was very fast)

You can be as calm as you want, but you have to know which to address first and do it quickly or you are in major trouble.

So what do you think is the right answer?
It's anonymous so vote!!

Is there a "I'm stupid for getting in the water with this person" choice?

I voted air, bc, mask.

While it is a dangerous situation I do not see instructors do. There is just too much at stake.. I take the comments that some instructors do this with a grain of salt. Sounds like ' look my instructor did this to me, I survived.... wow I am good'

Anyhow. If I HAVE to choose, my reasoning is that I can dump gas quickly if overinflated, but it will not do me any good since if I can not breathe, I am going to drown. If I ascend too quickly, things can be 'repaired' if done quickly and correctly. There is not quick and correct fixing after the fact for a complete OOG. I need gas. I would rather be bent and alive than bent and dead.

A person also thinks a lot better with no fear of not being able to breathe and having O2 flow to the brain.

So, in this scenario (valve turned off, BC inflated, mask off). I would grab valve to open while deflating BC (in doubles I would just go for both valves and wait a little for the BC, maybe exhale deeply at the same time). So in effect air and bc are equal. Exhale. Deflate to slow ascend, maybe stop if needed (deco/safety stop). Not even sure I would look for the lost mask. Either use spare or finish dive without.

Of course the buddy has not been discussed......

Yep you gotta get the air first so you can control the problem, with air in your lungs you have more control without a panick, so it does not become a BIG problem with the 3 added together.

Its kinda like on a airplane when the masks drop down, are you going to help someone put theres on before you put yours on? NO your not its no good if theres 2 dead people, when you got your breathing sorted you can THEN deal with other issues.

jeckyll:
I'll have to look for it, what were you doing at 100 feet with less than 25 dives?

I've had 2 inflator failures on wings, but have been lucky / been able to control things.

And on recreational length dives, the DCS risk vs what happens if you have an embolism ... well, I know which one I would choose.

Wing failure and you are not yet certified? Huh Life insurance should be #1. (Ok I realize your profile isn't right) LOL

frank_delargy:
In another post someone wrote that training used to include the following drill..

1. Shut someones air off.
2. Pull off their mask.
3. Inflate their vest (old days, this was a CO2 cartridge, so it was very fast)

You can be as calm as you want, but you have to know which to address first and do it quickly or you are in major trouble.

So what do you think is the right answer?
It's anonymous so vote!!

There are many ridiculous drills that you can find yourself caught up in because you chose a psycho instructor for a particular course.

Make sure you always have a spare mask with you, in case yours get knocked or ripped off.

Make sure nobody touches your gear, ever. If they try, put your heel into their gonads. That should protect your B/C and your air.

Be really careful and screen instructors before you go into the water with them for any reason. Then the odds of getting stuck with a psycho are less.

Back
Top Bottom