• bc air mask

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • bc mask air

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • grab buddy or DM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice9:
Hmm. My first thought would be to correct the BC problem before it gets out of control. Then, air would become important. Finally, the mask issue could be addressed. The Mask being last was easy, but the Air and BC problems were a bit of a toss-up for me. But, it just seems like if you don't address the BC issue quickly, things could get real interesting...

Am I right?

Anybody who for whatever reason does all this to you is dangerous.

Your best bet is to exhale continuously as you ascend and let your B/C elevate you away from the area. When you are clear enough of the scene of the crime that you can be sure the psycho cannot close the distance, then you need to turn on your air.

Once your air is back on, then you have the option to vent your B/C. Venting your B/C before you have access to air would be russian roulette.

Once your air is back on, and your B/C is vented, and you have stopped your uncontrolled ascent (which is not the worst of your problems -- no air is the worst of your problems), then you can fumble for your spare mask and put it on.

Then it is time to get out your big knife, or your spear, and hunt down the psycho.

Most predatory animals take a circular path when approaching another predator. That brings you up behind him. That is what I would recommend for you.

jeckyll:
I'll have to look for it, what were you doing at 100 feet with less than 25 dives?

I've had 2 inflator failures on wings, but have been lucky / been able to control things.

And on recreational length dives, the DCS risk vs what happens if you have an embolism ... well, I know which one I would choose.
For starters I have deliberatly not updated my nr. of dives because of all the funny comments like yours.. I wont update It either, or say how many dives I have I think..

What I WILL say however is a question..
Ever heard of the AOWD course? You have? Good, that part IS accurate in my profile and is also mentioned in the thread on that dive..

Ill keep following this thread for more tactical information on how to deal with the guy thats doing all this to you :rofl:

Tigerman:
For starters I have deliberatly not updated my nr. of dives because of all the funny comments like yours.. I wont update It either, or say how many dives I have I think..

What I WILL say however is a question..
Ever heard of the AOWD course? You have? Good, that part IS accurate in my profile and is also mentioned in the thread on that dive..

Ill keep following this thread for more tactical information on how to deal with the guy thats doing all this to you :rofl:

PADI AOW is meaningless. And perhaps ... just perhaps I have a fairly good handle on the the whole "don't use the profile" thing. Your logic is still incorrect if you think that a very mild case of DCS is worth risking an embolism.

:popcorn:

1_T_Submariner: Hey, I never said I had a wing failure. I had and inflator once I disconnected the POS inflator the dive proceeded as normal :wink: It's called "oral inflation" ... and yes, I know you know :rofl3:

Meng: Couldn't agree more :)

jeckyll:
PADI AOW is meaningless. And perhaps ... just perhaps I have a fairly good handle on the the whole "don't use the profile" thing. Your logic is still incorrect if you think that a very mild case of DCS is worth risking an embolism.

1_T_Submariner: Hey, I never said I had a wing failure. I had and inflator once I disconnected the POS inflator the dive proceeded as normal :wink: It's called "oral inflation" ... and yes, I know you know :rofl3:

Still not certified. :popcorn:

1_T_Submariner:
Still not certified. :popcorn:

I know. It's downright shocking :wink:

jeckyll:

Now just exactly where the heck did I say risking an embolism is a good idea??
I never did say it was and I never said it would be better, nor worse than being bent, I simply said that an embolism is NOT the only thing you have to worry about, but I guess I should just stop diving, since I didnt get certified with ZOMGIROCK back in the 1800s?

1_T_Submariner:
LOL :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

:rofl3: Just thought the "100' on less than 25 dives" comment by someone that is not certified was hypocritical. :popcorn: :coffee:

I know! What can I say. I'm not a role model

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Edit: I updated my Profile information to bring it closer to reality ... after all, I didn't really dive using split fins and a spare air :wink:

frank_delargy:
In another post someone wrote that training used to include the following drill..

1. Shut someones air off.
2. Pull off their mask.
3. Inflate their vest (old days, this was a CO2 cartridge, so it was very fast)
Here is the 'answer' from the person that used to do the above during military training..
Remember this was a long time ago .. way before I started diving and it was not OW training.
The bottom line is "it depends on your depth"
Frank,

If you are below 60 ft, the CO2 will not do that much...assume that you already have some air in the thing... very little more will be added. your buoyancy will not go up much.. and you are farther from the surface. Get air..the mask is never important.

If you are above 30 ft, who cares about the air or the mask.. stop the stupid accent. We did free accents from 60 to 100 ft all the time (stupid.. I know, but you don't worry about air as much). The vest would go from empty to completely full.

Between 30 and 60 - humm depends on how you are weighted. You had better know that before the event started. I always went for the vest.

I should point two things out:

1. We were using doubles, so reaching the valve was easy.

2. You would never see the person that did this to you.. sometimes just the mask, sometime more.. but if they did your vest.. they would be behind you, pointed down, holding on.. just in case it went wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom