What is your beer of choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the right answer 2 years ago. Black Label! Thousands upon thousands of bums can't be wrong!

Free.

If someone else is buying it must be really, really bad beer before I will turn it down.:D

Agreed!

...But I would add at least 3 more "reallys".

Screw the "beer elitist" mentality!

Agreed!

...But I would add at least 3 more "reallys".

Screw the "beer elitist" mentality!

For me it is not "elitist" to find I really enjoy one or two brands of beer far more than the rest.

I no longer am at the age where I tap a keg each weekend, or party much at all. I seldom even drink for the high. I find that I would rather spend a bit and have one or two really good tasting beers, than simply guzzle a six of whatever is on sale this week at the supermarket.

Over twenty years ago I took a short course on brewing beer, and tasting beer and wine. For a while I was brewing my own. From that point on I began to realize just how many different tasting concoctions are called beer, and how some of these stood head and shoulders above the rest for rich taste.

I restarted this old thread, because it is fun to see what the rest of you all like, and then search out some of them to try. It was threw SB that I discovered my real favorite: Arrogant Bastard (thank you Onespeed and a couple DNY friends!), but I am still trying new beers, to see what there is out there.

Will I drink a typical cold American beer? Sure, why not, especially if I am among friends who are not into stronger, darker brews, but I prefer a brew that does not HAVE to be ice cold to mask it's real taste, and I do prefer one's that served at root cellar temp, go down smooth, and leave a good aftertaste in my mouth.

gypsyjim -

Does Tommyknocker (Idaho Springs, Colorado) make it your way? Their Imperial Nut Brown is one I enjoy (although I have their ButtHead Bock on at the moment). It is 9% ABV. Our law changed a couple years ago to let higher alcohol brews into the market, and there are some quite nice ones.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is another goody - pronounced hops, so it that is not your style, pass it by.

And given the season, enjoy some of the Oktoberfests that are currently available, since they will be gone in a few months.

Cheers!

I have yet to find an IPA that I really like. The Imperial Nut Brown does sound promising, thanks.

I am compiling a list of beers like that to keep an eye out for. I visit a few different distributors, looking, but it is often hit or miss just grabbing something off a shelf to try, (especially at the price most distributors are charging for micro-brew products!).
Better to read what other's have tried and recommend, or tried and :vomit: Don't mind paying a bit more for good taste, but HATE dropping good money into :vomit: :vomit:

One of my local wine shops has periodic beer tastings (beer and wine can be sold in the same store). Good way to try before you buy.

Another thing to keep an eye out for is a sampler pack - some breweries make these so folks get to sample all their offerings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom