What is your drysuit made of?

What is your drysuit made of?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity did anyone who chose a neoprene dry suit do so in part because if it failed the suit still retained buoyancy?
I chose mine because it was more or less the only available alternative in my price range. Also, lacking competence in properly evaluating the pros and cons of different suits, I chose to buy the same type I used during my OW class and thus was somewhat familiar with.

I can assure you that, as water is neutrally buoyant, it cannot "offset the buoyancy" of anything.
I can assure you that, as air is positively buoyant, water will offset your buoyancy when it replaces the air bubble you've got trapped in your dry suit (which is what happens if your suit is flooded).

I have two suits, a Bare Nex-gen and Fusion W/Tech skin. I keep migrating back to the Nex-gen for the ease of rinsing and drying time. So both of mine would be bilam suits. I purchased the Fusion when my Bare was out for a zipper replacement so I could have a self donning suit as I do solo dive quite a bit.

Not true. I dive a back zip and self zip and unzip all the time.

Could you describe and possibly do a video on the procedure you use? I have self zipped my Nex-Gen a couple of times but could tell the zipper was taking more stress than I would like.

You've got "Trilam" and "Cordura" as separate options, but most suits made with Cordura are of trilaminate construction. For instance, the DUI CLX450 - "The upper body fabric is a trilaminate material made of Cordura® blend / butyl rubber / polyester." A handful are bilaminate.

Either way, there aren't any drysuits made of "just Cordura"

Same here.

---------- Post added December 6th, 2013 at 08:54 PM ----------

And I can assure you that, as water is neutrally buoyant, it cannot "offset the buoyancy" of anything.

Well I can assure you that I sunk on that dive and barely had enough lift in my BC to float me. Something sunk me after I torn my suit and the water came in. What do you think it was?

I can assure you that he will return with a pearl of wisdom that will unravel the mystery. :wink:

Perhaps it was the hammer of war you attempted while diving a drysuit...

Having flooded a uni-suit I can assure you that the weight of the water off sets the buoyancy.

Of course it will but with a neoprene suit you have buoyancy built into the material itself so even if the suit floods you still have the option of dropping your weights in an emergency. Has the benefit of that material caused anyone to choose a neoprene suit?

I love this thread because I am in the market for a trilam drysuit. I have dived the GUI TLS 350 and love it. Which manufacturers make trilam suits?

So which other manufacturers of trilams would be worth a look?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Take a look at a hollis biodry. Surprisingly tough and versatile, also very comfy. I have dived mine from water temp 20c to -1.5c, put it through all sorts of rough conditions, above and below water.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 09:36 PM ----------

Something sunk me after I torn my suit and the water came in. What do you think it was?

Tank/lead/gear sunk you. The water in your suit just removed the buoyancy of the air trapped in your suit. Thus removing your "lift" so all the other crap could sink you. The water as such did not sink you.

Could you describe and possibly do a video on the procedure you use? I have self zipped my Nex-Gen a couple of times but could tell the zipper was taking more stress than I would like.

I use a dog leash attached to my van or to my boat. I have one on each so I never forget it. Just clip the leach onto the zip. The key is to not just pull across but also pull out. You need to pull the zip away from you so you don't catch your undergarments and keep the zip from kinking anywhere. I'll try to get a video for you. I'm usually alone when I do this so I don't have anyone to hold the camera for me!

I'm usually alone when I do this so I don't have anyone to hold the camera for me!

Good point:wink:

Whites Fusion drysuit, has kept me dry. Truly self entry.

Whites trilam, about ten years old, as a backup. Also kept me dry.

Back
Top Bottom