What is your experience with rental regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well.

My experience with rentals made me prioritize purchasing my regs before my BCD. I ended up getting both at the same time, but I'm just saying.

I rented from several different LDSs and I think only one time I got a decent breathing reg.

Just my experience.

:zen:

Thanks for the replies. I had the old Voit Titan serviced and used it in a pool, and it was fine, I'm just not sure about taking it to 80 ft. or deeper, in cool water. I'll probably try it out on a 30' or so warm water dive then go from there.

But I'm still probably going to buy a newer reg and stop renting just for the confidence factor. I don't want to be second guessing my equipment. I'll likely post a question to help me choose a new reg soon.

Thanks again to all. And I'm still interested in rental stories!

Your Voit Titan is a diaphragm first stage regulator. I believe many of the parts from both the first stage and second stage are interchangeable with some of today’s Mares.

If it was properly serviced it should be as reliable as any regulator and in cold water the second stage is actually more reliable than most plastic second stages (it is less likely to freeze).

Many modern regulators share the same basic design as your Titan, but very few will have the advantage of the metal second stage.

I've seen shops that rent Sherwood Bruts and I've seen shops that rent Atomic Z2s (they also sold the rental inventory every year). Overseas it's really a crapshoot to rent a reg...

Cheers.

-J.-

I've been watching reviews on regs since I started diving a few years back, and my observation is that most newish regs breath very well, and are based on the designs of the high end and expensive regs.

From talking to LDS owners, and Dive Op owners what they look for in rental equipment is simplicity and durability at a low cost.

How good they are is based on use, abuse, and the service the LDS provides for the regs as well as the area where the regs are used. In land locked areas, the regs are mainly used in the pool, and in fresh water, so renting a reg is a good and safe option. In area's where the regs are going to be used in the ocean, service becomes more of an issue as salt and sand take a toll.

I think renting equipment in most resort areas is not a poor option, but before doing so, I'd talk to the service manager, and ask about their maintenance policy.

For the most part regs are rather durable, but they do need service, so that becomes the key. Like a rental car a good shop needs to change the oil so to speak based on use. If they just say they do annual maintenance, that IMO may not be good enough as most manufactures recommend service more often if the reg is used daily for example.

For the $250 cost of a very good if not low end reg these days, I'd make this a priority purchase if one is diving more than a couple times a year.

At my LDS, AquaLung Titans are the rental/student regs of choice. They breathe well, are very durable, and are apparently easy to service. My personal set of regulators includes two AquaLung Titans, as well.

I've heard, however, that there is indeed a difference between the rental/student regs and even mine of the same model: the student regs are intentionally tuned to require slightly higher cracking pressure (i.e. you have to inhale a little harder). This is apparently done in order to reduce the likelihood of free flows at the surface (and during skills).

Your own regulator would not be tuned the same way, as you know how to avoid (or handle) free flows, so your personal regulator may be noticeably easier to breathe. (Both would be functional, of course, but one's *really* nice since it assumes you have the skill to handle it.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom