What items have you actually used from your save-a-dive kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also don't have a "save a dive kit" but have a box with different staff. I use frequently some of the tools there - to change the hoses set up, zip ties (if that's what i think about - by zip tie you meant this plastic staff that's used by electricians to keep the wires together?).
Of course O rings and silicon grease.
These are the commonly used things but in the box there are few more
:D
And how to be a lady carrying such box?
Mania

It sounds as though there is some confusion as to the definition of "save-a-dive kit." I also don't believe in buying one of the cheap commercially sold save-a-dive kits because they don't have enough in them. However, they can be a good starting point for building your own kit.

A save-a-dive kit can be any kit you make yourself, or it can be one that you buy that is commercially produced. Most divers I know make up their own kits which are designed around the type of diving they do.

If you have a "box" of spare parts, accessories, etc., then you have a save-a-dive kit. I think all divers should have such a kit.

Charlie99:
[...]What items have you actually used from your save-a-dive kit? Which ones are most often used? [...]

I most often hand out zip-ties, hair ties (elastic scrunchies), bolt snaps and o-rings. I've occasionally
loaned out the spare SPG.

By far the most common are the hair ties -- both for hair and to replace lost hose/light tiedowns on
BCD webbing. Go figure.

Mo2vation:
I don't have a "save-a-dive" kit, as I think they're lame and just another useless thing pawned off on Scuba Divers as a must-have accessory.

I do however, have a fully stocked drybox that goes on every dive with me. Some of the most recently used items include:

*Another name for a Save-a-Dive kit is a SAD kit. If you're just bumping around with that limp Trident mask/fin-strap-in-a-tube nonsense, you need to shake yourself, do a search on ScubaBoard (for the stuff you need to include) and build a real drybox to carry with you. I have an abbreviated version for dayboats, and a Drybox+ I use on multi-day / vacation trps. I won't do a dive without it.

---
Ken

You say "to-may-to", I say "to-mah-to". Just another name for the same thing, IMO. The type of diving you do will normally dictate what it contains, but it's still the same idea. :wink:

I've used oodles of o-rings, tie wraps, spare mouthpiece, Sea Drops, Swim Ear, Lip balm, Multi-tool, dentist's pick, silicone grease and silicone spray, batteries (for my daytime light). I carry spare straps, but haven't used them myself yet... have known others to use them, and once loaned my spare slap strap to a fellow diver to tryout as she'd never heard of them. :11:

RP Diver:
You say "to-may-to", I say "to-mah-to". Just another name for the same thing, IMO. The type of diving you do will normally dictate what it contains, but it's still the same idea. :wink:

I've used oodles of o-rings, tie wraps, spare mouthpiece, Sea Drops, Swim Ear, Lip balm, Multi-tool, dentist's pick, silicone grease and silicone spray, batteries (for my daytime light). I carry spare straps, but haven't used them myself yet... have known others to use them, and once loaned my spare slap strap to a fellow diver to tryout as she'd never heard of them. :11:

- but my point is simply this: most commercially available, retail packaged, dive-shop hawked SAD kits ill prepare most divers to manage most on-water issues.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
- but my point is simply this: most commercially available, retail packaged, dive-shop hawked SAD kits ill prepare most divers to manage most on-water issues.

---
Ken

I didn't even know that such a thing existed. I was taught in my OW class back in 1989 to start my own, nobody tried to sell me one. They called it a save-a-dive kit, but we were all strongly encouraged to develop our own. And since I've pretty much always had one, I never was inclined to shop for a ready made one.

I'm not much of a gear hound, I guess. I'm still using my original mask and regulator (also from 1989), only my second BC and my 3rd pair of fins in 16 years of diving.

have used spare mask, orings, fin straps, zip ties, spare depthguage..and was glad i had them all...

Jay_SMART_Diver:
I think my save-a-dive kit is huge!! Lot's of junk and I have the customary mask & fin strap, snorkle keeper (who needs that anyway), mouthpiece (have used), mainly used out of my kit o-rings and zip ties...not to mention went with my girlfriend's class for OW check-out dives; almost all my de-fog -=> Gone to the felow students...got to love the newbies!!

Oh, you mean my gear bag

I carry a full toolbox now ( we estimated that there is over $2000 worth of stuff in it)

The allen keys and wrenches are the most common thing used, however I have used spare hoses, masks, regs, loads of zip ties and surgical tubing.

The IP guage and the inline adjustment tool are used every now and then.

Items used (# of times), usually by someone other than me:

Spare regulator (2)
Spare computer (2)
mask (1)
Fin straps (3)
tank valve o-ring (1)
tank neck o-ring (1)
LP hose o-rings
HP hose o-rings
HP spool o-rings
Scuba multi tool
Duct tape