What items have you actually used from your save-a-dive kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrenches
Pliers
Allen Wrenches
Wire Clipper
O-Ring Remover
Cave Line
Lighter
Spare Buckle
O-Rings
Crysto Lube
Zipper Wax
B/U Hoses

I'm sure there are a bunch of things that don't come to mind that I've used as well.

My save-a-dive kit now comes in two boxes. One contains tools and disposable items such as O-rings, zip ties, bungee cord, zipper wax, mask defogger, and the like. The other contains spare gear that a dive buddy or student is likely to forget. Yesterday I loaned a dive buddy my spare drysuit hood. I've at times also loaned out a Light Cannon, wet gloves, mask, inflator hoses, SPG, and first or second stage. The most often-used item in there is my O2 analyzer ... because I usually like to analyze my cylinder just before I dive it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've loaned/given out a hood, gloves, lights (many times), bolt snaps including double-enders, bits of cave line, zip-ties (cable wraps) and O-rings to buddies. I've also used the mouthpiece and snorkel keepers that came in the plastic-tube "SAD" kit. I go through so many snorkel keepers (the silicone "dog bones") because I show buddies how to use them to secure their octo regs when their clips etc fail! because the snorkel keepers are relatively cheap I sometimes let the buddies just keep them, too.

I've used a few bits and bobs!
O rings, fin straps, and even a whole mask!
Batteries for strobes and torches.
Always handy to have the multi-tool aswell!

SF :wink:

O-rings
PLugs
Fin Swivel
FIn strap and mask strap
Pliers and wrenches
First aide kit
Decongestants
Hoses

I have a 'save-a-dive' kit that goes on the boat/dive site with me. I also have a Mares tool kit that stays in truck. Nobody touches my tools :jaws:

Most common used save-a-dive stuff: O-rings, zip-ties, mouthpieces, etc.

Most common used tools: #14 wrench (for hose changes), big allen wrench and/or reg adjustment tool to stop free-flowing regs.

-Warthog

Mo2vation:
- but my point is simply this: most commercially available, retail packaged, dive-shop hawked SAD kits ill prepare most divers to manage most on-water issues.

Not just that, but they also cost MORE than if you had purchased the parts individually, including a drybox to keep them all.

I simply bought a drybox and filled it with the same stuff, plus some additional items of my own like contact lenses (I wear disposables).

One thing from my save-a-dive kit really lived up to its name. It was a couple of weeks ago at Molokini, and a fin strap (actually, the buckle) on one of my fins had broken upon exiting the water after my first dive. Thank goodness I had the foresight to buy an extra fin strap kit, with buckles. Without it, my $109 2-tank Molokini dive trip would have turned into a $109 1-tank Molokini dive trip.

ZIPS crap loads of zips! can never have enough, fin strap once or twice, o rings same as zips, have plenty with you. I keep a whole list of other stuff in a tackle box, but never seem to use it, but you know Murphy the first time I leave it behind....

O-rings are number one but I've used the visa card the most.

I now have a spare mask in my kit (cant believe how many divers do...) last trip out suiting up for the first dive when someone threw their fins on my new mask and then someone else sat on the fins. Luckily someone on the boat had a spare mask.

Back
Top Bottom