What magazines do you read / recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the mag you get with DAN membership.

Rodales have the test reports if you are buying gear. Even better though is trying the gear yourself and making up your own mind. For example split fins...

sorry ontario diver, i should have watched more closely. some guys that work at my lds went to dema this year and met the fine folks who publish 990 and the lds gets 1 shop copy per issue. i haven't had the heart to spend that kind of money on a magazine though. i just started a job a few months ago and i work with a brit. i might try to talk him into having his family buy them for me locally and ship them here every so often... i'll let you know if that ever works out.

-frank

btw, at beneath the sea this year i subscribed to shark diver magazine (run those words together and add .com for the website) it's published by the shark research institute. nice magazine. i expect great things. plus, it's 25 USD for a 2 year subscription!!!!

Fathoms, a new one out from Fred Garth & Bret Gilliam, is superb. For great general information I think Dive Training is best.
Rick

because it rates resorts and dive operations.
All of these mags run the same stories over and
over....same pics too, I think.
Rely on ScubaBoard

and it just seems like a whole lot of advertising, and not much else. I can flip through it in a few minutes and look at the pretty pictures, but there's not much more to it than that.

I am not renewing my subscription.....I can find better uses for $20. LOL

lal,

you are far too kind!

how i would rephrase your comment: the editors and writers are slavish dogs who will do nearly anything to, uh, stimulate advertisers and advertising. (to be fair, most popular magazines do the same.)

dm,
a former newspaper journalist who fled when newspapers started selling their editorial souls to their advertising departments.

:(

lal7176 once bubbled...
Actually this board is better than any magazine you could ever buy.There is a wealth of knowledge and experience and a wide variety of divers right here.

Probably one of the most popular rags out there is rodales scuba diving www.scubadiving.com.Its an all around ok mag but i consider it somewhat biased towards there advertisers.There is dive training along with some others but i cant think of the names though.Im sure some of the magazine readers will be along to fill you in on some other magazines.

I'm just curious what magazines people subscribe to, and which magazines if any people think are useful.

I'm looking for normal people who scuba as a recreation, not professionals (IE, I wouldn't want a magazine focusing on how to attract new customers).

Rodales Scuba Diving
Sport Diving

In another post about solo diving, I heard quite a few people say that Rondale's was fairly useless. How many people like it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom