What to buy first a BC or Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with Regs first due to the are life support BCD would be a close second though

Hard to say.

You can rent regs that work just fine. Your BC will affect your diving (trim, balance, etc.).

I feel that it is best to get in and learn your own BC ASAP.

Wetsuit first. Regs and BCDs are pretty much standard size/fit, while a wetsuit has to fit the curves, length, width, height, and proportions of your body. Plus, do you want to wear one that other folks may have tinkled in? :wink:

Regs first. No doubt. You want to know the history €of your breathing apparatus.
It is pretty easy to choose a reg. Their qualities are non subjective. They all do the same thing. Reduce the pressure of your back gas and move said gas through a hose to the second stage in your mouth which adjusts delivery pressure according to depth and demand.
Plenty of data available to choose the best breather for your money.
BC's on the other hand can and should be rented and borrowed until you find what fits and works for you.
There are back inflates, stabs, horse collars, warap arounds, independent wings of all shapes and sizes.
If you are weighted properly, a BC failure is an inconvenience. A reg failure will be a problem. Buy regs, rent BC until you know what works.

Regs first. No doubt. You want to know the history €of your breathing apparatus.
It is pretty easy to choose a reg. Their qualities are non subjective. They all do the same thing. Reduce the pressure of your back gas and move said gas through a hose to the second stage in your mouth which adjusts delivery pressure according to depth and demand.
Plenty of data available to choose the best breather for your money.
BC's on the other hand can and should be rented and borrowed until you find what fits and works for you.
There are back inflates, stabs, horse collars, warap arounds, independent wings of all shapes and sizes.
If you are weighted properly, a BC failure is an inconvenience. A reg failure will be a problem. Buy regs, rent BC until you know what works.

Regs first. You can almost be gauranteed of deciding you like a style of BC different than the first you would have bought, but a good breather will still be a good breather.

regulator with gauges/computer.You will become familiar with yours and not have to second guess what the computer reads out..BUT be aware that you will most likely get a better deal if you purchase regulator/gauges and bcd at the same time in a package.If it means waiting a week or two to get the $ together just wait till you do.Most LDS will do better of offering a sale in a package than in solo items.

It depends if you are physically comfortable in rental BC's - are you a standard size, shape, etc.? I'm 5 feet tall, and never found a BC on rental that worked for me. Regs were never the problem. Until I got my own BC, I couldn't get truly comfortable in the water. If you're good with the rental stuff, then get a reg. If not, get a BC.

Back
Top Bottom