What's the best Wrist Mount Dive Computer for both tech and recreatonal diving & why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to agree with others who mentioned Suunto. I would either go with the Vyper or the Vytec, with the preference on the Vytec (my computer).

The Vytec can be placed in either Air or Nitrox mode for your rec use, or gauge mode for technical diving for use as a bottom timer. The other benefit of the Vytec is the wireless integration of your tank pressure.

Thomas

if you have NO use for the pressure integration OR the gas switching for Nitrox (it is NOT a Trimix computer) then get the Vyper.

If so, then the Vytec is a good choice.

The wrist unit itself, without the transmitter, is not all that much more than the Vyper (perhaps $100 at the online shops) and you can always add the transmitter later.

I own both (one in a console, one on my wrist) and if I were doing it again I would have bought the Vytec right up front. It turns out that I HATE the computer in a console. Oh well.

Genesis once bubbled...
you can always add the transmitter later.

Yeah, great idea.:bonk: :confused: The one thing I've been looking for to add more excitement to my life when I'm diving is another failure point. And what better way than a computer that craps out when it is surrounded by metal, such as when you're near or inside a metal hulled wreck.

Hoseless systems are completely inappropriate for technical diving.

Start with a wrist mount computer that can be put in gauge mode when you have progressed to technical diving. Use a simple analog SPG.

A lot of tech divers successfully use computers. It's unfortunate they have not responded here, possibly because you are not at the tech level yet. There is a lot more to it than getting a "tech" capable computer and following its guidelines.

I can't help with your choice since I am not tech certified or knowledgeable on these computers, except to suggest you do some searches here for various models or try to find magazine reviews and talk to divers who actually use them.

As you can tell there is quite a bias against computer use on this board by many vocal posters.

always come out on this issue and scream about computers being used to plan and execute dives.

Of course then they sit there with Decoplanner or something similar on their PC to cut their tables before they dive - heh wait - that's a computer!

I've yet to see one of them do the math longhand, with a pencil and paper. It CAN be done. Not that it would be easy, of course, as I suspect there'd be some integration in there somewhere, and I bet that 90%+ of the DIR zealots never passed Calc 1 in College (if they attended in the first place)

The "rot your brain" nonsense is just that. Bottom timers fail too - even dive watches can fail by flooding.

This is one of those religious issues that prevents me from embracing the "DIR" philosophy. There are others, but this is one of the biggies.

I have adapted my kit and use many of their concepts, but I check my dogma at the local religious institution when it comes to diving philosophy.

I'm not sure what jonscubas is going to use his computer for, but I think he wants a computer that can be used for technical (staged decompression?) diving, other than in gauge mode. Any such computer could also be used for recreational (non-deco) diving although perhaps with some loss in features or compactness. That said, I think the computers that are recommended for staged deco diving at Bikini Atoll would be a good starting point. Even more telling is the list of not recommended computers, I assume because their algorithms are not designed for decompression diving. That list is:

RECOMMENDED:
Dive Rite NITEK 3*
Zeagle STATUS II
VR3, both generations, by OMS

MINIMUM FOR BIKINI:
Uwatec ALLADIN PRO
Uwatec ALLADIN AIR X/NITROX series
Dive Rite BRIDGE II [no longer made]
OMS NITROX
Dive Rite NITEK
U.S. Divers MONITOR II series

NOT RECOMMENDED: DO NOT BRING TO BIKINI!
All OCEANIC computers
U.S. Divers MATRIX computers
All Sherwood SOURCE computers
All Dacor computers
Scuba Pro DC 11/ DC 12 computers
Orca EDGE
All Genesis computers
All Cochran computers All Suunto computers
Dive Rite "C" and B'AIR computers
All Aeris computers

We have not had enough exposure to the New Suunto Vitek or the Abyss Explorer to make a performance-based decision. If you have not used either of these products for repetitive multi day deco dives, I would defer to one of the recommended or minimum computer options.

Well from my understanding that part of tech diving is considered when you use any other form of gas than 21% 02. Well I have used 36% so far, and will be using a higher concentration for stage decompression at much shallower depths, upon completing a deeper depth.

I do not plan on going deeper than 150'. It all depends on the bug I catch, and that's if I even do. But I would like to simplify my dive if I want to go check out more wrecks or lengthen my bottom time, which of course would require decompressing.

I just want a proven solid dive computer that can switch gasses on the fly underwater, at least 3 gasses, and won't fall apart on me, and I can read it clearly, and the buttons won't fall out or are hard to press. I don't see myself using trimix, heliox, or fart gas!!:boom:

But I do want a good wrist computer. I've been looking at the OMS VR3, and the Suunto Vytec. They both have pro's and cons, a lot of cons for that matter. But I haven't heard, read or seen anything a tad better.

That's why I turn to all you experienced fellows for advice:bonk:
Can't beat a guy for asking questions, when I'm still learning all the what if's, right? So if you use one and you know it works, say so. Thanks.

jonscubas once bubbled...
Having to send my computer out at all for repair is a NO NO. If this was a factor preventing me from diving because I have to wait 6 weeks is pathetic.
I have heard and read, though not seen or personally experienced, that some tech people who depend on their computers dive with TWO computers. That way, if one computer fails they sill have a backup computer to finish the dive with.

A little expensive... but if you are going to tech dive and rely on your computer, then it would probably be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom