when is a dive log official

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like ID and others, I log every dive. I record weight and psi used, weather and water conditions, activity and people on the dive (not just my buddy). It's amazing just that info goes a long way to bringing back memories. Including the time I forgot my weight belt when I was soooo excited about getting in the water!

I have actually never been asked to produce a divelog to be able to dive. I don't know if I just look like a diver ;-)
I think in Europe the dive operators check more often - probably because a lot of dives are more advanced than the typical dive in the Caribbean, i.e. low vis, cold, deep, deco, etc. is common, at least in Sweden, where I'm from.

As others here have said, I just use my dive log to go back and check what I wore (wetsuit, weights, etc.) for a particular type of dive.

I have rarely been asked to sign a divelog. It has mainly been when I was in charge of the Swampdivers in my club (The Scubadillos in Dallas) and the people on these dives wanted a record of it for their patches they got after x number of swamp dives (http://www.diverguy.com/swamp_patch98.jpg).

/Mike
http://www.diverguy.com

to log every dive, no matter how long or short, good or bad and eventful or uneventful it may be.

I fortunately dive with the same buddy probably 90% of all my dives. On occasions she is not up to another dive so I will go with someone else that I have seen dive and trust. I have logged my dive and if they did not sign off on it on that particular day then the next time I saw them they would sign off, gladly I might add. Most divers are conscientious and know that keeping the log is very helpful in maintaining records for their own personal reference as well as when the need arises to "prove" to an operation that you have developed necessary skills for a certain type of dive.

"Log Everything" about the dive including discussions prior to and after the dive, as well as the dive and equipment used, it's good practice IMHO.

The above mentioned stamps and DM signings were what I was thinking of when I first posted this thread. Thanks for sharing your methods of log-keeping with me !! :D

While we are on this discussion I would like to know what type of log books do you all use. I am new to diving and would like to get an idea. Thanks ...

Brad
Upstate New York

Nin,

I got mine from the LDS that I support. It is a PADI logbook. My dive buddy got her cert thru SSI and she purchased from her LDS at the time and I would assume it is a SSI book.

It doesn't really matter what type it is as long as you can log the pertinent info.

Hi Brad, welcome to the boards. The usual paper logs are sold in most dive shops, Ive seen many designs - I guess you just get on that you like. I also use an electronic log on my Palm Pilot.

The basic PADI adventure log page work fine for me. But I've also seen the SSI ones and thought that their "pre-printed" info was pretty nice.

Diverguy...Hi Mikael! Didn't see you sneak into our rowdy bunch here. Welcome and glad to have you!!

If your going to cheat then be realistic with your log...
Use different coloured pens and change your writing styles and NEVER be overambitious......!!!!
I still don't get it when people question that I have done 100,345 dives in 2 years? Sheesh! Talk about trust issues...
:mean:
Cheers nobody believes me Ears,
The Thunder from Down Under,
The Gasman.

Gasman,

Does that include the dives under the showerhead and sheets, or is that a seperate logbook :tease:.

Back
Top Bottom