when is a dive log official

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, LOL...Gman - back with a vengeance! How's it going over there?

Gaucho - everybody has basically said it, but just to add my $0.02... I log every dive to remind myself of what happened on it, how much fun it was, what I saw etc as well as to keep a record of depths, how much air I used, times, surface intervals etc. for future reference. I don't believe there is a required number of dives for Advanced (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) seeing as some people go immediately from OW to AOW, but it's when you go for MSD or DM that you are required to have a certain amount of dives logged. Again it should depend on yourself - how comfortable/confident you are in yourself to go to the next level.

MHO
:)

Gaucho,
To answer one of your questions... I believe you need 24 dives logged to be an advanced diver with SSI. Mario is that right? :mario:
Padi and Naui are different and do not require any amount logged before you start your advanced dives. Padi will even let a diver that just finished their 4 open water dives go right into their advanced.
I like the way SSI does it, but that's a whole differnt thread!
:sunny:

Natasha - you're right, I should have mentioned I was referring to PADI....

:)

Hi All,
I use the SSI logbook I like the format. My dives are also logged on my PC with Suunto's Software.

Brad,
I'm in Rochester N.Y. Where is Gloversville?

Tavi

Interesting topic. I used to get instructors/divemasters to sign my log book, but I stopped that years ago. From time to time, I'm asked to sign a book, but it's not very common.

My first logbook was the Sport Divers logbook which is still available today. I didn't particularly care for the format and it only holds 32 dives, so my second book was NASDS even though I don't have a NASDS certification. I liked the format (except for the small area available for a narrative) and I liked the fact it was loose leaf, so I could add pages and keep the same book. In 1986, the changed their format so that every dive was 2 pages long with even less room for a narrative, so I stopped buying pages and switched to New World Publications Underwater Log. It has a good format and lots of room for a narrative. It will hold about 70 dives. I believe this log book is still available. In early 1989 after filling 7 of them, I decided this simply wasn't cost effective, so I switched to a record book I bought at an office supply store. Now my format is whatever I decide it should be. I can write a short narrative or none and fit 5 dives on a single page or I can use as many pages as I want for a single dive. I have been known to use 3 pages for one dive. If I want to include a sketch or paste in a photo I can do that as well. I believe I'll stay with this system. In addition, I now have all my dives logged at diverecord.com. OK, so I haven't logged the 18 from the Diverlink trip last week there yet.

WWW™

Another related question. I did about 12-15 dives before getting my PADI certification. I did this in Santiago de Cuba and Varadero, where controls for certification was quite lax (at least back when I did these, between 1991 and 1995). Can/should I log these into my current dive log??

One other thing in regards to verifying dives:
Most dive computers record the last 10 to 30 dives. If needed, you can check the dive computer against the written log. :)

Safe Diving:
Vettster

Tavi,
Gloversville is about 3 hours East of you. Take the thruway to Exit 27. Go North on 30a, follow signs ... if you are interested in getting together let me know I am a member of a SCUBA club.

All others,
Thanks for all your input I think I might make my own with the information I want to put.

Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom