Which computer to buy with Trimix in mind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Predator does it for me. The X1 has the cost and software factor, and I've heard nothing awesome about the VR3.

Yeah, it's a big, chunky brick of a unit, but I LOVE it. Also, wanna go deep?

DSC_0560.jpg

It'll do it.

Note the depth gauge is pegged out at 404 meters, while the unit is "at" 431 meters. No leakage or breaks or cracks.

Video of the rEvo rebreather guys torture-testing a Pursuit (LCD version) to 500 meters. Faceplate deflection breaks the LCD screen, but the unit continues to function! (Though the screen is unreadable.)

YouTube - how to dive the shearwater pursuit to.... +500m

Well I took the plunge and have a Shearwater Predator on the way. It was supposed to show today, but as it goes it will probably be here tomorrow. I am very excited to take it for a spin this weekend. I will not be Deco diving, but it will give me a chance to get some experience with it before I take it deep.

I really appreciate all the info from everyone.

If anyone has tips etc. about the predator that may be helpful, I would love to hear them.

Cheers, Walt

Well I took the plunge and have a Shearwater Predator on the way. It was supposed to show today, but as it goes it will probably be here tomorrow. I am very excited to take it for a spin this weekend. I will not be Deco diving, but it will give me a chance to get some experience with it before I take it deep.

I really appreciate all the info from everyone.

If anyone has tips etc. about the predator that may be helpful, I would love to hear them.

Cheers, Walt

It comes pretty well set-up out of the box, and the learning curve is so shallow that I was programming gases and using the dive planner without reading the directions. VERY intuitive and easy to navigate.

I only changed the Gradient Factor settings to 20/85 from the stock 30/85 for deeper initial stops. I don't do deco with it yet, but there you go.

The only thing I would say is have a couple of spare batteries on hand, they are a SAFT LS14500 and aren't something you can get at Wal-Mart. I ordered some spares online. About $5 a pop! Ouch. Good thing the battery life is fairly decent. I got mine in November and the battery just now gave me a 50% life warning. And I dive the hell out of it, average three dives a week since then.

Other than little nit-picky stuff like that, I strap it on and go. It's ready to rock from day one.

Cheers, Walt

What do you want to know?

Are you familiar with gradient factors? The default setting is 30/85. Initially I set mine to a more conservative 10/80 until I figured that was too conservative and ended up back at 30/85.

If you have an iphone/ipodtouch download ideco and play around with that to get a feel for your NDL times. (uses Buhlmann with gradient factors,same as the Predator)

Another big plus with the Predator is that they are developing a VPM model for it, which should be available free to users in a forthcoming update, allowing the user to select their favorite model, VPM or Buhlmann with GF.

They're also getting a second-counter, (the lack of seconds is one thing I don't like about mine now), and a few other tweaks. I can't wait for that.

I'd sure be up for a talk on the gradient factors, since I am really not that knowledgaeble on them and how they apply to that algorythm.

This is the place to start reading about gradient factors.

In a nutshell the first number determines the depth of the first stop.Smaller the number,deeper the stop. Second number alters the length of time on the shallow stops.Smaller the number,longer the stops.

When I first got the Predator I was a bit concerned about the algorithm as I was used to using VPM. Now I've used it for a bunch of dives I don't really think about it anymore. I know 30/85 works for me on the biggest dives I do (200 feet /25 minutes or 100feet/ 90minutes )
If I were to plan a 300 foot dive some research into appropriate factors would be sensible. Anything out of the ordinary I will check ideco(gradient factors) against V planner (VPM) as a sanity check.

Attachments

• understanding_m-values.pdf
    268 KB · Views: 178
Might I strongly suggest getting the book "Deco for Divers", by Mark Powell. This book will be a wealth of information for you.

Shearwater had indicated that the SAFT is the only recommended battery.

As said, get iDeco. It's a great program, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom