Which computer to buy with Trimix in mind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trident00

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know questions along this line have been asked repeatedly, and I have been reading alot of parallel threads the last few days.

I appreciate your patience, insight, knowledge, and taking the time to respond.

I am currently taking trimix technical training. I will more than likely follow it with deep wreck penetration and cave training.

I currently have an Aeris compumask and a suunto cobra. Both of which have served me well in my sport diving.

I am now looking at purchasing a technical computer.

I am looking at the liquidvision X1, shearwater predator, VR3, and now The Uemis which is supposed to be coming out with a trimix firmware update. I have seen that the Galileo Sol is also about to get a trimix update as well.

I do like the idea of air integration which is a reason I added the Uemis to the mix.

I am unsure wether or not I will end up going the closed circuit rebreather route in the future, but hate to limit myself when making a purchase like this.

Ultimately I would envision using the computer for my sport diving as well as tech diving.

Like everyone else, I work hard for my money and don't care to waste it. I do however dive quite a bit and dont mind spending the money on a tool that will make it safer and more enjoyable.

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Cheers, Walt

I predict a plethora of replies (paraphrasing here) "here's what I have, it cost over a $1000, and therefore I love it so should you".

:D

Since you're in a trimix class, I'm surprised your classes haven't given you a clearer idea of what you need. Usually that's the place where your true requirements come into focus. Making those kinds of gear purchase decisions before the class can become counter-productive.

All the best, James

I appreciate your response, and after typing my initial post I was expecting it.

I agree with your post and thoughts.

I really wasn't posting this to find out what my basic tech diving needs are, but more to get feedback from people that use the various technical dive computers currently on the market.

My instructor is excellent and the gear requirements and configurations have been very clearly laid out and explained. The topic of computers has been discussed as well. I am aware that I need nothing more than a digital time/depth gauge and timing device since we are going off of tables. I am currently using my existing computers in gauge mode for the dives.

Even though my training does not require any more than what I have, I am like many and would still like to have a new tool to add to my gear set. I personally would like to compare the computer to the tables as we do our dives.

Cheers, Walt

A couple of thoughts.....

Among the tech divers in my circle there are two primary computers, x1's and predators. x1 is smaller and lighter, single color display that rotates through the information you need. The predator is larger, more heavy but has a multi color display and shows more information at the same time, and now offers more choices in deco model. In my opinion, the predator is more reliable, based only on the guys I know and posts from the decostop. The predator is also much cheaper when you factor in total cost (for an x1 you have to pay for 3rd party software)

Those are the two I would choose from.

I dive a predator and I love it. The x1 is a solid choice as well and both can be used with CCR down the road. If the size/weight is not a deal breaker for you I think it is the best choice.

Having said all that, two bottom timers and cut tables is all you really need for most stuff, especially square profile stuff, but I like having the computer.

I would stick with a Predator or X1 a VR3 would be a in the running but the others that talk about Trimix coming I would avoid as their Trimix upgrades have been "coming" for some time (in other words maybe not). The Shearwater and X1 are both proven tech computers and have already gone through the growing pains associated with new products - they have basically been debugged already with the current generations that are for sale being very solid computers. I really like the X1 in that you can run VPM on it and that is the same as the dive planning software I use while diving and teaching trimix - it is nice to match your cut tables to what your computer is showing. Shearwater should be releasing the VPM version of the Predator shortly.

I would save up and do some research around the various computers and underlying algorithms. For now all your dives are on a slate with the backup plans. Stick to those and get a better understanding of how you would like to deco and shape your profiles. Once you have more insights into these points can you make the right choice that suites your needs.

I predict a plethora of replies (paraphrasing here) "here's what I have, it cost over a $1000, and therefore I love it so should you".

Very true James! But then, given the cost of the units, how many of us get the chance to make detailed comparisons?

I'd start out by buying a copy of "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell. Great book, modern, easy to read, and quite popular. Once you have an idea of which deco model you want to use, then you can look for a computer which implements it. (I love my Liquivision X1, because that's what I have and it costs over $1000!)

Very true James! But then, given the cost of the units, how many of us get the chance to make detailed comparisons?

Exactly the reason for my post.

I do very much appreciate everyones responses. I guess I'm polling to a certain degree, but I appreciate hearing the reasons people chose and or like the computer they use. It will help me to know the strengths and weaknesses of the different ones. As pointed out by "ajduplessis" I can use this information as well as a gained knowledge of the algorithms to make a reasonably educated decision.

If anyone is very knowledgeable on the different algorithm profiles I would be very interested in hearing some discussion on them as well.

I am currently using the Naui RGBM tables.

I know its funny and all, but I'd truly be interested in hearing more than just... "here's what I have, it cost over a $1000, and therefore I love it so should you".
I would imagine you researched before making your purchase as well.

Oh.....PS..... I love my canister light and it cost over a grand too....lol

Cheers, Walt

Back
Top Bottom