Which Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSea

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I've decided on a Back Plate (Hammerhead SS) & a wing (Oxycheq Mach V), now I need to know which harness to use. I'm only interested in the adjustable harnesses with quick disconnects. I'm looking at:

1. Oxycheq Adjustable Harness System
  2. Deep Sea Supply Pro Fit Adjustable Harness
  3. Zeagle Deluxe Back plate Harness
  4. Dive Rite Transplate Harness

I like the looks of all 4, but there isn't a dive shop in my area that carries any back plate systems, so I can't really go look and touch anything. I'm leaning toward the oxycheq mainly because it will match the wing. But if anyone has actual experience with this harness that changes my mind, I'll be going with one of the others. So any comments about any harness are welcome.

I have the DSS Pro Fit (as well as the plate / SS Plate) and really like it. It's easy to adjust and easy to get in / out of. There's no unnecessary padding (none needed) and the attachment points are well thought out.

Based on your other posts, I think you would do well to just buy the DSS rig and call it a day... IMHO. The others are good as well but for convenience and flexibility, you might as well get it all in one place.

I've tried on the DR and didn't like it. I'm still not sold on Zeagle for Backplate systems though I do very much like their other gear. I've seen the Oxy one, and I have a lot of respect for DSS gear. If I had to choose, it would be one of those two.

And added benefit for both Oxy and DSS, is that both owners are regular members here and participate often. That could be said for Zeagle too to be fair. I've never seen Lamar here.

You will get some great opinions but mostly from people who own and use ONE of those systems. For example, I have the transplate and like it a lot! I have never used the others. Someone may show up who has used or owned them all at one point or another, like NWGreatful Diver. What it comes down to is which one do you REALLY like? Buy it! I agree, they all look pretty good to me too. Is one cheaper?

PerroneFord above does give good advice about Oxy and DSS being active here on the board. That is a plus if you will be putting this stuff together yourself for the first time. Have fun with whatever you decide!

BSea:
Ok, I've decided on a Back Plate (Hammerhead SS) & a wing (Oxycheq Mach V), now I need to know which harness to use. I'm only interested in the adjustable harnesses with quick disconnects. I'm looking at:

1. Oxycheq Adjustable Harness System
  2. Deep Sea Supply Pro Fit Adjustable Harness
  3. Zeagle Deluxe Back plate Harness
  4. Dive Rite Transplate Harness

I like the looks of all 4, but there isn't a dive shop in my area that carries any back plate systems, so I can't really go look and touch anything. I'm leaning toward the oxycheq mainly because it will match the wing. But if anyone has actual experience with this harness that changes my mind, I'll be going with one of the others. So any comments about any harness are welcome.

BSea,

My first choice would be a single piece Hogarthian harness. If you have any plans for DIR or other Tech type training you will likely need a single piece harness.

When would I recommend an adjustable?

If you are frequently changing between different exposure suits, i.e. 1 mil or dive skin and say a DS suit with thick undies. In this case an adjustable might be the answer.

Hogarthian harnesses look intimidating, uncomfortable, hard to get in to and out of, but in practice they work pretty well. Proper adjustment and practice is the key.

In the water a well fit harness basically "disappears".

I'd be happy to anser any questions you might have.

Tobin

I looked at a lot of rigs before I bought the DSS kit with a Hog harness. I'm just an ordinary user, but have to agree with Tobin. Plus, it's cheaper and easier to replace when you get some wear.

There are some folks out there who will talk about "failure points" too. I don't have any data to support that argument.

I'm a relatively new diver and was intimidated by the continuous webbing/Hog harness and tried several adjustables. Once I got to try the Hog harness and realized that it isn't as hard to put on and take off as some posts have seemed to state, I've very much enjoyed the lack of clips, swivels, dangling adjustment strap ends, etc. It's just so simple and really not rocket science to adjust-just takes a bit of time and patience.
If a new guy can do it anyone can.

I did try on and seriously consider the Dive Rite transplate harness for a while but decided that the above points plus the placement (on my particular body) of the stainless steel swivel plates dug into my ribs. The shoulder padding is also unecessary if you wear an exposure suit and maybe even if you aren't.

I'm using an Oxycheq wing and a DSS plate and thumbwheels (in place of wing nuts) and a Hog harness.
and both Tobin and Pat's participation in this board influenced/demanded :) my business.

The nice thing about the Hog harness is that you can always add a shoulder strap quick release or other adjustment clips later if you ultimately decide you'd rather have them. Tobin's DSS adjustable harness would be my choice if you go that route. Although I'm not sure if I'll ever be a tech diver, I am planning on slinging a pony bottle soon and a one piece harness/D ring will give me less pause when doing so even though Delrin clips are pretty secure.

Maybe shoot Tobin and Pat an email and see if it's possible to return the one you don't like as well as the other. Golemgear.com is another source and Jakub may be willing to send out all three and have two returned as well-but of course you'd have to ask him. Great guy/dealer. He is also a Dive Rite dealer so you might be able to try all three if he's willing to send them out on a return basis. All three of these guys are stand up people and back their products with excellent service and additional info./discussion. Both Tobin and Jakub have been immediate in their email responses with me so they have my loyalty.

I second (third/fifth/.../.../...) the recommendations for Hog harnesses. I went that route out of necessity (read: budget) more than anything else. I was worried that I would have problems donning and doffing the rig, but I really have no problems with this harness at all. It fits me snugly, with no tank movement and is easy enough to get into and out of when I need to.

I also second the recommendation to have a chat with Jakub of GolemGear.com (he is user lof on SB).

Cheers,

Andrew

I don't really want the Hogarthian system right now. I have kind of the reverse logic of Jim T. I can always switch the harness to the Hogarthian. In fact I'm sure I'll try it sometime (I'm always changing something). But for my 1st backplate, I want to stay with something that I think will be easier. 1 thing I didn't mention was that I wanted to add weight pockets for a total integrated system. I wore a weight belt for 15 years, and don't want to go back. (I can almost hear the DIR guys cringe)

To answer Tobin, I do dive almost year round, and last year started into dry suits (that's the reason I want weight pockets), so I do change my exposure suits. Plus I try to go somewhere warm in the spring, so I would be adjusting the system often.

Thanks for all the input. I'm still doing the research, but I always value your comments, even if you don't agree with what I'm doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom