Which is most dangerous: Dark Narc, Euphoric Narc, or "I'm just dumb" narc?

Which is most dangerous: Dark Narc, Euphoric Narc, or "I'm just dumb" narc?

• The dark side - "AAAH my tank/mask/fins are trying to eat me"

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Euphoric Narc - "Hey man, look at that over there"

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I'm just dumb Narc - "Oh, I'm supposed to breathe?"

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't have a good answer for this poll since I've never experienced any of these different descriptions of being narced. It has been my observation that very few divers ever experience any real symptoms of narcosis to the point that they can tell something is different with them. If they have any effect at all from narcosis, it is so insignificant that it's not a danger during a dive. I do realize that there are a very few who do experience severe symptoms however.

And that must be the dumbest thing I've ever read on SB

And that must be the dumbest thing I've ever read on SB

Yes I agree, one of the dumbest things I have heard here.

I've only been narced a few times. Mainly I have gotten euphoric, however once I had a 'dark narc'. That was the worst by a long shot. However, given my limited experience with narcosis, I doubt I could make a call as to which is the worst, and it is likely to be very situation dependent.

You are narced!

Are you trolling or do you really not believe in the effects of narcosis?
Unfortunately one observable effect of narcosis is denial but I don't think you could deny its existance just because you don't remember feelings its effects.
I have never felt the effects of oxygen toxicity but I believe in it and I sure am careful I don't put myself in a position to experience it.

Unfortunately one observable effect of narcosis is denial but I don't think you could deny its existance just because you don't remember feelings its effects.
I have never felt the effects of oxygen toxicity but I believe in it and I sure am careful I don't put myself in a position to experience it.

What's up Dave!

As you can clearly see from my post I do believe in narcosis. I clearly state that it does exist. I just don't get caught up in all the "dark narc", "happy narc", "funny narc" etc. stuff. I can't even tell you how many times I have read on here how people claim to be "narced out of their mind" at 50ft, 60ft, etc. when just about every study I have ever read shows that effects from narcosis doesn't even begin until you are around 90 to 100ft and then for most people those effects are minimal if they are there at all.

Like I stated, there are those rare exceptions where people will suffer from extreme symptoms of narcosis like hallucinations. While I don't know anyone myself where this has happened, like I said in my post, it does happen. And I also said most people that do feel some effects from narcosis during a dive find those effects to be small enough that it causes no real problem. I have been diving since 91 and have logged about 350 dives and not logged a whole bunch more and I have yet to run across a person who ever had to call a dive because they felt narced. (My typical diving is in the caribbean where the water is clear and warm and they range in depth from shallow to 180ft so you will know where I'm coming from.) But even if I had been around a case or two where this had happened, considering that I've been around hundreds if not a few thousand divers, this would qualify as a rare event.

I've also read on here where new divers will post questions about narcosis and wonder if they are going to enjoy the "happy narc" feeling but then have to fight through the dreaded "dark narc" feeling. They make it sound like some kind of battle from Star Wars. They get all worked up and nervous and some people even become afraid of trying to dive a little deeper for fear of narcosis. Some of my friends who I got started in diving have had these very same thoughts. They remember the term "rapture of the deep" and have heard about those rare events where people do forget where they are and what they are doing. But I always tell them not to worry at all. I tell them the chances of that happening to them is highly unlikely and they probably won't notice a thing. So far, in the cases with my friends and other new divers I have talked to, that has turned out to be the case. Some will say after a deeper dive that they felt nothing while now and then a few will say they weren't sure if they felt anything. Maybe yes maybe no they say. But that goes back to what I have said all along. The effects were so minimal that it didn't really have any effect on the dive.

I love it on here where you make a post and then people read what they want to read into your post instead of what you actually say.

Cheers Dave!

By the way Dave, I do appreciate the fact that you questioned my post rather than just calling it dumb and I was able to explain further my thoughts/ideas.

It would be easy for me to point out that unless Saspotato's computer was talking to her, she had to have READ my post and did not hear it. But calling a post like that dumb would serve no purpose even if it seems dumb at first glance.

BSDC:
It would be easy for me to point out that unless Saspotato's computer was talking to her, she had to have READ my post and did not hear it. But calling a post like that dumb would serve no purpose even if it seems dumb at first glance.

It is dumb on second and third glace actually. Most dumb parts bolded fyi:

I really don't have a good answer for this poll since I've never experienced any of these different descriptions of being narced. It has been my observation that very few divers ever experience any real symptoms of narcosis to the point that they can tell something is different with them. If they have any effect at all from narcosis, it is so insignificant that it's not a danger during a dive. I do realize that there are a very few who do experience severe symptoms however.

Would like to see the studies that say this please too?:

BDSC:
when just about every study I have ever read shows that effects from narcosis doesn't even begin until you are around 90 to 100ft and then for most people those effects are minimal if they are there at all.

Do a Google search and you'll find lots of them. It's not that hard.

By the way, check that spelling again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom