Which wrist do you wear your computer(s)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is unfair to criticise an instructor who insists on this level of detail. If he is claiming it is a standard, then yes he is making stuff up, but how an instructor wants a first time diver set up is part of the service. If he thinks that being able to see depth and add gas at the same time is important then that is his call. If later he expects a student to do that and they cannot because some relative knows better then that relative is interfering with the training in an unreasonable way.

I don't think it's unfair.

a. There's never a need to yell at a student - it accomplishes nothing except stress for both the student and instructor, and in scuba diving stress is not your friend.
b. Insisting on a level of detail is well and good - but without articulating why, it doesn't mean much.
c. Never bullsh!t the student - if it's not in the standards, don't say that it is.

As an instructor you want to develop a sense of credibility in your relationship with your student. It's an important component of a successful learning experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If it was really so important everyone console computer would be on the right so you could hold it with your right hand rather than dangling somewhere on the left side dragging coral.

Nothing wrong with a console if it's configured properly. My open water instructor showed me how to rig my console so that it rested against my chest, and all I had to do to read my gauges was look down. He emphasized the importance of "no danglies", and explained why that mattered (environmental as well as safety reasons).

I later decided I preferred wrist gauges ... but for most recreational divers there's nothing wrong with choosing a console if you figure out a way to keep it clipped in close to your body while diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Certain configurations are set forth for good reason. Other things are left up to the diver. I tell my students what I do and why, and also what I've tried in the past, and the reason why I didn't adopt them. It is up to them to find what works, as they might really like an idea that I rejected. And that's okay. As long as however they put anything anywhere that doesn't result in them blinding me with their dive light when we dive together, I can't see why it would be an issue for me.

Reactions: tep
I have it on my left wrist along with my slate above it. My right hand is my dominant hand and I use a VR3 - enough said.

I don't think it's unfair.

a. There's never a need to yell at a student - it accomplishes nothing except stress for both the student and instructor, and in scuba diving stress is not your friend.
b. Insisting on a level of detail is well and good - but without articulating why, it doesn't mean much.
c. Never bullsh!t the student - if it's not in the standards, don't say that it is.

As an instructor you want to develop a sense of credibility in your relationship with your student. It's an important component of a successful learning experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
A/C I am not saying that shouting or bullshitting are ok.

B Do you explain to student exactly why every last thing you teach them is the way it is? Where do you stop? If contradicted by some relative do you just do it their way? Scuba instructors teach all sorts of lies, but those lies are the ones the student is paying for.

Wow ................ who cares what arm it's on at that point. OW is about learning the basics while attempting to have fun. Remind me to never send anyone to that instructor.

I should go sign up for their OW class and put my watch on my ankle and bend my leg up and look down at it underwater when I want to see how long I've been under. Lets see how they like that.

jeez.
Can I go with you? Please?
Not that I want to be called an hole of one end of a body, but I do like to play games like that to uptight ***holes. I'll even buy you a beer for taking me along!
BTW, I switched from my left to my right so I can watch my ascent rate, being a new diver and all that.

Shortly after getting my OW cert I re routed my ref so that my console came around my right side and I keep it clipped with a retractor to my left shoulder (I find it much more natural to use like this). I was given nothing but grief when I took my reg in to get service about how my console is on the wrong side and that I shouldn't even talk about going tech if I can't follow simple setup protocols for OW. I have since taken the computer out of the console and now wear it on my right wrist but my console stays under my right arm clipped to my left shoulder and other than one dive shop nobody else has tried to lynch me over it. Occasionally I'll get asked why I route it that way and the answebis always the same. It just feels more natural for me.

Shortly after getting my OW cert I re routed my ref so that my console came around my right side and I keep it clipped with a retractor to my left shoulder (I find it much more natural to use like this). I was given nothing but grief when I took my reg in to get service about how my console is on the wrong side and that I shouldn't even talk about going tech if I can't follow simple setup protocols for OW. I have since taken the computer out of the console and now wear it on my right wrist but my console stays under my right arm clipped to my left shoulder and other than one dive shop nobody else has tried to lynch me over it. Occasionally I'll get asked why I route it that way and the answebis always the same. It just feels more natural for me.

The only "gotcha" I have heard of in such a setup is if you need to doff your gear quickly. Me personally, I could not care less how people want to setup their gear. When I am doing deeper dives and I want to make sure I check my gauge more frequently and more easily I will take and snap it from my left waist d-ring and put it on my left shoulder d-ring. My dive buddy did that but over to his right shoulder d-ring from the left and I chewed his ass. Difference is he is MY dive buddy and he had never made the connection that he would have another barrier if it came to getting out of his gear. If you came floating or swimming by in that config I would not point and laugh or say anything to you. Your gear, your call.

From that perspective it makes sense that it could hinder a quick exit from my gear. I've never thought about ditching everything before maybe a slight change is in order and the console needs to be clipped to the right shoulder. Thank you for pointing that out! Nobody has ever bothered to give me real feedback as to why it might be a bad idea only that's not how we teach it so it's wrong.

The only "gotcha" I have heard of in such a setup is if you need to doff your gear quickly. Me personally, I could not care less how people want to setup their gear. When I am doing deeper dives and I want to make sure I check my gauge more frequently and more easily I will take and snap it from my left waist d-ring and put it on my left shoulder d-ring. My dive buddy did that but over to his right shoulder d-ring from the left and I chewed his ass. Difference is he is MY dive buddy and he had never made the connection that he would have another barrier if it came to getting out of his gear. If you came floating or swimming by in that config I would not point and laugh or say anything to you. Your gear, your call.

I always clip my SPG to the left shoulder d ring, easy glance down.

I also see a lot of people cross over with their octo. I don't cross anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom