Which wrist do you wear your computer(s)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Computer on the right as well. Left is for buoyancy adjustment and light.

I wear it on the left so I can watch it while ascending, it leaves my right hand free to do whatever I need to, like shine a light on my computer.

What ever works for you is how you should do it, SCUBA gives you a lot of choices.

Bob

Unfortunately "standards" is a very loose and interesting thing here in New Mexico. It has been 2 different shops and 2 different agencies. But both make the rules since they seem to think they are the only game in town.

That wasn't the only comedy that happened in what my sister termed the class from hell. She really should create a thread of her own. The good news is my nephew and his dad eventually passed the course and are now OW certified.
Standards are written down...if you think the instructor is feeding you BS, CALL them on it and demand to see it in the written & published Standards. You are paying for service and training...you can probably pay less for harassment elsewhere. All training agencies that I am aware of have a "Quality Control" department (or similar) and take such actions as these very serious. The "Class From Hell" should not be a normalized occurrence. But if nothing gets reported than nothing gets resolved.

Wherever you want to wear it. What suits one person does not suit another.

By choice I put my primary computer on my right wrist. When first diving a rebreather I tried to carry on with that but gave up pretty soon as the cable routing and button orientation on a Petrel really do not work that way. It can work 'upside down' but the cable blocks the buttons and makes using it a pain.

I think it is unfair to criticise an instructor who insists on this level of detail. If he is claiming it is a standard, then yes he is making stuff up, but how an instructor wants a first time diver set up is part of the service. If he thinks that being able to see depth and add gas at the same time is important then that is his call. If later he expects a student to do that and they cannot because some relative knows better then that relative is interfering with the training in an unreasonable way.

They won't be going back to that instructor or diveshop for any other training so it doesn't matter what his parents teach him at this point.

primary computer/line cutter & slate/schedule on right (I'm left handed, so the slate needs to be there if I'm arm mounting it and want to write), alt. computer, compass and light (soft goodman handle) on left. If I am not carrying a light on my hand, the compass is on the back of my hand. I really like the compass there, but the need for a light pushes it to my arm...

I will admit that I rarely use the butt dump.... probably should work on that....

I think it is unfair to criticise an instructor who insists on this level of detail. If he is claiming it is a standard, then yes he is making stuff up, but how an instructor wants a first time diver set up is part of the service. If he thinks that being able to see depth and add gas at the same time is important then that is his call. If later he expects a student to do that and they cannot because some relative knows better then that relative is interfering with the training in an unreasonable way.
I think it's perfectly fair. You don't go yelling at someone and hide behind a so-called standard.
If he can't give a reason for it, then he doesn't have anything to say.

If it was really so important everyone console computer would be on the right so you could hold it with your right hand rather than dangling somewhere on the left side dragging coral.

I think this all comes down to personal preference. I am used to my watch being on my left hand since I usually am doing something with my right thats where my computer defaulted to I was used to looking at my left wrist for the time anyway.

I wear one on each wrist, but I put my primary on the left wrist. I wind up my SMB reel with my right while holding it with the left hand.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom